Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Twin plug install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
BillJ
Has anyone here installed a twin plug into their car? I am having a 2.4 built and wanted to get some ideas on where to mount the msd's and coils. Any pictures of how you mounted and routed?
mlindner
BillJ, mine is not a twin plug but just wanted to keep the engine as clean as possible. Fabricated a panel (note battery delete) into the battery area to hold the MSD and Coil.
Did have to get the longer coil wire. Worked great. Best, MarkClick to view attachment
SirAndy
I got a bracket for the coils (PMS i think) to mount them right above the dizzy(s).

No MSD box for me, the FI brain went under the dash ...
bye1.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
BillJ
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I have one coil already mounted on firewall passenger side and may mount second one next to it but i do like that clean bracket on the fan... I wonder if MSD makes a dual coil bracket? Also already installed is a single older msd unit in the trunk but it is analog and switching to digital for both. They have to be the same.
Ever any trouble with the msd overheating in the engine bay Mark? Will be only track so anticipate that there will be relatively high heat in there.... Battery is mounted in front for weight balance so i have space on the battery tray for sure.
mlindner
Bill, no heat issues but only on the road last summer. I do have the GT style engine lid so lots of air and the engine is only a 2.2. Mark
BillJ
I did get a gt lid as well just last month so hoping that will help temps in there. I do worry about getting too hot in there as the race motor will be run hard of course but never for more than an hour.

Andy - could not find a dual holder that goes on the housing for the msd. Does make the hop from coil to dizzy very tidy though!
brant
couldn't find any great photos of mine...

Here is a coil bracket we made from aluminum for weight... the tightening screw is also aluminum

we made 2 of these..
put the coils on the firewall
short coil wires to the dizzy

put the MSD units on the cockpit side of the fire wall...
passenger side, (behind the seat if we had one)

short run between the coils and MSD units.. (grommet in the firewall)
keeps the MSD out of as much water exposure...
also a race car with no windows.
infraredcalvin
I thought this was a pretty clean setup in an already empty space ove the engine.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
BillJ
Like the idea of ignition boxes on the inside firewall. Have a second seat mount if i want to put the other one in so just need to make sure it clears the back.

Aluminum bracket is smart as well. I bought some msd brand mounts maybe return or at least drill out holes in it....

wndsrfr
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Feb 19 2022, 09:05 AM) *

I thought this was a pretty clean setup in an already empty space ove the engine.

Don't want to hijack but why the fuel crossover line??
BillJ
Fuel crossover is on mine as well. I was told it helps make sure that you have high availability of fuel for the carbs. Particularly in race situations with high cornering forces.
infraredcalvin
agree.gif What he said? Came that way…. But I am still missing 100+ hp… blink.gif
Shivers
QUOTE(BillJ @ Feb 20 2022, 06:19 AM) *

Fuel crossover is on mine as well. I was told it helps make sure that you have high availability of fuel for the carbs. Particularly in race situations with high cornering forces.

Doh! More money to spend... idea.gif
campbellcj
I can't find decent pics at the moment but my MSD boxes are mounted inside the trunk on the firewall/bulkhead and the coils are in the engine compartment on the firewall near the dizzy itself. Has worked out fine but precludes an engine sound pad and (probably) storing the targa top in the trunk, not problems for my usage.

I have a carb fuel crossover as well.
BillJ
Yes that is the single plug setup now for me. My roof is bolted to the cage so no worries for me either lol.

I think i am sold on the mounting the boxes on interior passenger side bulkhead and distributors engine side on firewall above the dizzy and short path between the coils and boxes. Seems clean and keeps the spark system clear of the heat.

Will add pics as i progress.
campbellcj
Found a couple. This gives you the idea re the coils -

IPB Image

Ancient 2009 pic, cleaned-up wiring since then and eliminated tach adapter but mounting is still the same -

IPB Image
BillJ
Very clean setup! Really nice indeed. I am concentrating on mechanicals for this refresh but definitely will be taking the body to bare at some point in the next few years.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.