Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bent Shift Rod?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
I've been fitting a used Tangerine Racing 1.75" race exhaust to the car. After some trouble figuring out what stub pipes to put where I have the header on and all sealed up. Unfortunately, the shift linkage is hitting when in 5th gear. I can dimple the exhaust, but I'm curious if maybe my rear shift rod is bent or if it can be bent to avoid the header. I've always felt my shifter had to be set way back on the splines (pulling the rod forward)... Any advice?

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146

please provide a picture with perspective. smile.gif
Cairo94507
I would straighten that bend out sufficiently to clear the header. I just had a new shift rod made for my car when I switched to a stock side-shifter shifter. It is virtually straight.
mb911
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 19 2022, 05:02 AM) *

I would straighten that bend out sufficiently to clear the header. I just had a new shift rod made for my car when I switched to a stock side-shifter shifter. It is virtually straight.

Yes.. I mod them for the 914-6 and your right it is basically straight. Did it for about 10 folks including myself and works perfectly.
stownsen914
I recall having to do similar years ago when I put headers on my 914.

You'll want some clearance there too, since the engine will move around, while the front part of the shift rod is kinda anchored to the chassis.
Shivers
QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 19 2022, 05:30 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 19 2022, 05:02 AM) *

Yes.. I mod them for the 914-6 and your right it is basically straight. Did it for about 10 folks including myself and works perfectly.

I think this is a later four. I do not think a straight shift rod will work, it goes through that hole in the engine support bar. If I am wrong please let me know how you did it. Mine is coming up.
yeahmag
It's a side shift trans. I'll probably try and tweak the rod. I'm I correct in assuming that before and after the bend should be in line?

-----\____/-----

Like that^^^
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Feb 19 2022, 12:43 PM) *

It's a side shift trans. I'll probably try and tweak the rod. I'm I correct in assuming that before and after the bend should be in line?

-----\____/-----

Like that^^^

No. Here is one on a fixture I made. It was intended to use to correctly position the rear shaft for welding. You can see that the end at the shift console is not in line with where the coupling attaches.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.