Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Backpad delete questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jmargush
Does anyone know if there is a backpad delete process documented in a thread?

For those who have done it did you leave the rubber mat attached tot he inside of the firewall or remove it?

What materials felt/carpet? have been used to cover the firewall?

Sources?
Craigers17
Here's one discussion.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=...-vEQIDG8tOY6vCf
Geezer914
I covered mine with a piece of Perlon and installed 2 small lights near the top of the center console.
GregAmy
I still have one of those eBay kits I never installed...

Instead of bumping that necro-thread...what's the noise difference with a noise mat behind Perlon? I don't really want to increase it much (if at all).

And of course I'd have to dispense with a light.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Feb 20 2022, 01:49 PM) *

I still have one of those eBay kits I never installed...

...what's the noise difference with a noise mat behind Perlon? I don't really want to increase it much (if at all).

Be forewarned, NVH is going to get worse on it's own with just Perlon. The combination of the OEM asphalt mat (mass damper), the fiberboard backpad backers (noise barrier), the contour foam (noise absorber), and the vinyl (noise barrier) is a pretty effective noise treatment.

I'd consider the addition of at least Dynamat (a highly effective, constrained layer + mass damping) behind the Perlon. Dynamat is going to be more effective than the original asphalt mass damping mat was.
GregAmy
Noted, thanks.

Given my backpad is still in excellent shape, and now with confirmation of more noise, I'm having a hard time justifying replacing it (as I did some 2-3 years ago).
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 20 2022, 11:55 AM) *

Be forewarned, NVH is going to get worse on it's own with just Perlon. The combination of the OEM asphalt mat (mass damper), the fiberboard backpad backers (noise barrier), the contour foam (noise absorber), and the vinyl (noise barrier) is a pretty effective noise treatment.

I'd consider the addition of at least Dynamat (a highly effective, constrained layer + mass damping) behind the Perlon. Dynamat is going to be more effective than the original asphalt mass damping mat was.

Was hot to move to a carpeted firewall a few years ago—they look great!—but never got around to it. Thanks for a reminder of why I shouldn't. beerchug.gif

I've actually been thinking about adding insulation under the engine lid and a dual-pane rear window. Even with a factory airbox, a 914-4 engine-side mat, the asphalt mat inside, and a full back pad, the Mezger six is a lot to listen to when the top is on. When the top is off, it's pure heaven—which has kept me from making any changes so far…
partwerks
I put in a rear view mirror with map lights.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(partwerks @ Feb 20 2022, 04:27 PM) *

^ Good idea.

Was looking at installing one or two very small LEDs into holes in the underside of the targa bar pad, aiming them forward, and then running the existing wiring up to power them. If I ever reupholster my back pad, I may do it anyway as the factory "dome" light has never fit (or worked) all that well.
partwerks
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 20 2022, 03:41 PM) *

QUOTE(partwerks @ Feb 20 2022, 04:27 PM) *

^ Good idea.

Was looking at installing one or two very small LEDs into holes in the underside of the targa bar pad, aiming them forward, and then running the existing wiring up to power them. If I ever reupholster my back pad, I may do it anyway as the factory "dome" light has never fit (or worked) all that well.

I got tired of twisting my arm around to reach it.
roblav1
I did this on my car. Very carefully cut Dynamat directly on the firewall. You'll never get one big piece on at once... I think I did three. Then glued 80% wool felt to that in two pieces sliced vertically down the middle. McMaster Carr had the felt. I used the same felt glued to the bottom of the roof.
roblav1
Here... somehow, it went upside down! Hopefully, you'll get the picture, pun intended!
Montreal914
QUOTE(partwerks @ Feb 20 2022, 03:27 PM) *

@partwerks Interesting idea... idea.gif

Is this a BMW conversion mirror that would mount in the center sun visors bracket location? Can you share picture/car model mirror? beerchug.gif
partwerks
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Feb 20 2022, 05:05 PM) *

QUOTE(partwerks @ Feb 20 2022, 03:27 PM) *

@partwerks Interesting idea... idea.gif

Is this a BMW conversion mirror that would mount in the center sun visors bracket location? Can you share picture/car model mirror? beerchug.gif

I don't happen to have a picture, but I just grabbed something that looked good. Seems like mine is out of a Buick?

At least it's easier to reach.
partwerks
https://www.ebay.com/itm/233579578314?hash=...FQAAOSwqF5bkjl-

I'm not sure what they do with the pull knob for the engine lid grille?
bkrantz
Check out my build thread. I put a layer of Dynamite high-density on the inside of the firewall, followed by low density, and then a custom-sewn perlon carpet. On the engine side, I installed a layer of reflective heat/noise material.

I am very happy with how it looks, and how it opens up the space around the seats.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.