Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear sway bar bushings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Schmaz356
I am restoring my 914 and I had the sway bars powder coated. Now I'm working on installing the bushings onto both the bolt and sway bar balls. Based on the picture in 914 rubber it looks as if you are suppose to do this prior to putting them in the drop links.

That said I cannot figure out how to get the bushings into the drop links. It seems like they are very easily damaged so before doing something stupid I figured I'd ask.
Luke M
You'll have to heat them up in some hot water to get them pliable. I used a pot of water that was brought to a boil. Turned off the gas and dropped the bushing into the hot water. I left them there for a few mins. Took them out and placed them onto the drop links then used a vise to push them through the link. I used a few pieces of angle iron on the vise jaws so it wouldn't dig into the bushings. It worked perfect for me and caused no damage.
Schmaz356
Thanks for the guidance. Did you install the bushings into the droplinks first or onto the shock bolt and sway bar first?
roblav1
I did drop links first.
Montreal914
I typically do to the bar first with the bar uninstalled, install the bar on the car, then push to the bolts.

These are very tight fit as they should. But if you drill a small hole on the back side, it will help insertion letting the air out.

Not my trick, picked it up here sunglasses.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Luke M
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Feb 20 2022, 06:00 PM) *

I typically do to the bar first with the bar uninstalled, install the bar on the car, then push to the bolts.

These are very tight fit as they should. But if you drill a small hole on the back side, it will help insertion letting the air out.

Not my trick, picked it up here sunglasses.gif smilie_pokal.gif

This is exactly the way we did my brothers install. I also added a small amount of grease into the bushing cups.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.