Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What say you all....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Puebloswatcop
So as I am starting to move into the actual body work phase of my restoration, I was contemplating color. I had a couple of color recommendations from family, one being a metalic gun metal grey, the other being a black cherry red. I am weighing these options as they both are very nice, but am also weighing that against using a factory color....

What say you all? idea.gif
Luke M
I'm leaning towards a metallic gun metal grey myself.
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(Luke M @ Feb 19 2022, 03:45 PM) *

I'm leaning towards a metallic gun metal grey myself.

Luke, That is exactly the look I was picturing in my mind...
914Sixer
1973 Zambezi Green, tan interior
Cairo94507
It's your car so do as you want. You are the one who will be walking up to it all the time and you will either love it or wish you had gone a different direction. Personally, I would select a factory correct color for that year. But I do like gun metal. beerchug.gif
FlacaProductions
Check Satin Black Metallic - I had it on an 89 944 Turbo and it's really nice. Picks up curves and just glows in the sun. And a factory color (not on 914's tho) LY9Y
wonkipop
its your car mate.
you are going to have to get in it so you got to like it.

but it can't be anything but a porsche color, not a vw color with those flared guards.

everyone is going to hate me for saying this.
if i had a 6 it would be this.

http://www.p914.org/p914-6gt_paint_341_70.htm

i saw a faded 6 that came into australia 25 years back - it didn't look much as it was all sunburned (i think it might have come from texas) - color was vivid in the trunks. i though it was fantastic. the guy who owned the car thought i was nuts.
he repainted it yellow when he restored it. but it looked good yellow too.
i saw the car again recently with its new owner at a german car day. i asked him if he knew what color it originally was. he didn't. he fell over when i told him.

just so happens its one of the three race trim colors.

http://www.p914.org/p914-6_paint_70.htm

but you know ----its very 1970s.

Literati914
I wrestle with this a lot - I’ve got 3 914s and two are orange - which I’ve had on a daily driver so would like to do something different for that reason. I like gun metals but then there are a lot of those colors out on the streets on normal cars. As a matter of fact I was having a conversation with my daughter recently who pointed out how most cars are of 3 or 4 variations - which made me want to pick wild 914 colors for my projects. But with that said, I know from experience that the vibrant colors can wear on you as daily drivers .. people recognize the cars everywhere you frequent (even more so than usual).

Shivers
Mine is Saturn Yellow, not a mute color. Over the years I've had multiple opportunities to ask "Why did you pull out in front of me ?" Answer was always- "I didn't see you"
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Feb 19 2022, 06:09 PM) *

I wrestle with this a lot - I’ve got 3 914s and two are orange - which I’ve had on a daily driver so would like to do something different for that reason. I like gun metals but then there are a lot of those colors out on the streets on normal cars. As a matter of fact I was having a conversation with my daughter recently who pointed out how most cars are of 3 or 4 variations - which made me want to pick wild 914 colors for my projects. But with that said, I know from experience that the vibrant colors can wear on you as daily drivers .. people recognize the cars everywhere you frequent (even more so than usual).

So do something outrageous, like Pepto Bismol Pink, or Barney Purple, or
Acid Green. Paint it up like the mythical grasshopper cars.

Or even plad....

<br> IPB Image

But please, not the same boring grey, black, white like every other boring new econobox sedan on the road.

Superhawk996
Red will cost you a couple thousand extra in tickets and increased insurance premiums.

You can get away with things in a nondescript gray car that will never be allowed with a red car.
pfreiburger
How about this:

Click to view attachment

Say with a tan or buckskin interior?
sb914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 19 2022, 04:45 PM) *

Red will cost you a couple thousand extra in tickets and increased insurance premiums.

You can get away with things in a nondescript gray car that will never be allowed with a red car.

I’ve got pulled over twice. Just to look at my red car. No tickets.
“Knock on wood” cherry black sounds yummy…
PaulFV8
My initial idea was Alaska Blue Metallic, several forum members have stunning cars in that color but then I stumbled on to Geyser Gray but I’ll need to see it in person first before I decide. Whatever you do I would recommend looking at a car in person in the color you’re considering as some just don’t look the same on camera. If you want a little different version of orange this is an original Triumph color, Topaz only used a couple of years. It was the original color and I stayed with it (matching numbers, one owner, etc)
Stay Safe
pek771
Jade Green. It looks like an old 911 color. This is an example.

Click to view attachment
mlindner
My Signal Orange, but my second would be grey or chalk. Have fun. MarkClick to view attachment
Craigers17
I like both your choices. That gunmetal gray looks great, and if the following pic is the black cherry, I think that would look really good with nice chrome bumpers.

Click to view attachment
vitamin914
QUOTE(PaulFV8 @ Feb 20 2022, 07:01 AM) *

My initial idea was Alaska Blue Metallic, several forum members have stunning cars in that color but then I stumbled on to Geyser Gray but I’ll need to see it in person first before I decide. Whatever you do I would recommend looking at a car in person in the color you’re considering as some just don’t look the same on camera. If you want a little different version of orange this is an original Triumph color, Topaz only used a couple of years. It was the original color and I stayed with it (matching numbers, one owner, etc)
Stay Safe

Alaska Blue is a very nice color. Both retro 914 correct and not sticking out in today's world. Color is such a personal choice (red is last on my list). Of course I am biased towards the Alaska Blue since it is mine. cheer.gif

I plan on getting it repainted soon to fix some blisters and flaws. It will be the same color but I am still on the fence with the PO's silver racing stripes. Some days I think it adds character other days not so much. The 914 has such a unique shape people will remember the car. Of course the color choice can add to the amount of attention the car will draw. If you crave more looks, go bold, if you want to be less obvious, go subtle.

Click to view attachment
gereed75
Really like that gunmetal. very sort of mono chromatic with the black trim/tires/interior and the silver/chrome

If you are considering the dark red may I suggest Aubergine, a rare factory off beat color that just looks good to me.

PanelBilly
Get a big box of crayons and pick a color.
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(vitamin914 @ Feb 20 2022, 12:13 PM) *

Stay Safe

Alaska Blue is a very nice color. Both retro 914 correct and not sticking out in today's world. Color is such a personal choice (red is last on my list). Of course I am biased towards the Alaska Blue since it is mine. cheer.gif

I plan on getting it repainted soon to fix some blisters and flaws. It will be the same color but I am still on the fence with the PO's silver racing stripes. Some days I think it adds character other days not so much. The 914 has such a unique shape people will remember the car. Of course the color choice can add to the amount of attention the car will draw. If you crave more looks, go bold, if you want to be less obvious, go subtle.

Click to view attachment

Your car is beautiful. Good color choice and I reall like the wheels. What brand are the wheels?
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Feb 20 2022, 12:55 PM) *

Okay...Smart Guy.....Do I close my eyes and pick or do I get to look while picking lol-2.gif
relentless
If this is a vote, I vote black cherry FTW!
GeorgeKopf
I am in the same situation.

I will most likely go with Marathon Blue Metallic:
Click to view attachment

Depending on what it looks like in real life I might go with Alaska Blue Metallic:
Click to view attachment

George
StarBear
QUOTE(GeorgeKopf @ Feb 20 2022, 05:33 PM) *

I am in the same situation.

I will most likely go with Marathon Blue Metallic:
Click to view attachment

Depending on what it looks like in real life I might go with Alaska Blue Metallic:
Click to view attachment

George

George - Either of those are FANTASTIC (though slightly favor the Alaska Blue Metallic), and MAYBE blink.gif even as high on my list as my own Zambezi Green. If yours is a 74 (correct?) I don't think they came in Alaska Blue Metallic; JB's paint codes shows Marathon Blue for 1974, though. piratenanner.gif
gandalf_025
Probably not a popular choice, but I’ve only
Seen a few of these in the wild in 50 years.

Factory Gold Metallic…

Click to view attachment
vitamin914
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Feb 20 2022, 02:03 PM) *

Stay Safe

Click to view attachment

Your car is beautiful. Good color choice and I reall like the wheels. What brand are the wheels?

Thank you for the compliment. The wheels were put on by the PO. What I can tell from the markings on them, they are made by Revolution Wheels in the UK (https://revolutionwheels.com/product-category/rally/millennium-rally/). The wheels are the millennium rally wheels.
PanelBilly
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Feb 20 2022, 11:10 AM) *

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Feb 20 2022, 12:55 PM) *

Okay...Smart Guy.....Do I close my eyes and pick or do I get to look while picking lol-2.gif

See them side by side and compare a rainbow of colors.
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(vitamin914 @ Feb 20 2022, 05:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Feb 20 2022, 02:03 PM) *

Stay Safe

Click to view attachment

Thank you for the compliment. The wheels were put on by the PO. What I can tell from the markings on them, they are made by Revolution Wheels in the UK (https://revolutionwheels.com/product-category/rally/millennium-rally/). The wheels are the millennium rally wheels.

Thanks, I really like the look they have on your car.
SavingManuals
@gandalf_025 I agree...gold metallic is still one of my favorite stock colors.

A few years ago, I saw a new Volvo S90 with a satin/matte dark red that could be described as black cherry or maybe a little more maroon. Certainly could have been custom.
vitamin914
914 crayon box colors and codes by year.

Click to view attachment

https://members.rennlist.com/chuxter/914Colors.htm
mgp4591
Keep in mind that since every other vehicle on the road is taller, fatter, and heavier than a 914, visibility is a necessity to keeping you safe. As tiring as it may be for a DD, being readily noticed may save you more than just sheetmetal. Just my 2 cents...
targa72e
There are so many cars out there in bland colors and shapes. The 914 is one of those cars that can pull of a bright unusual color. Grab a bag of Skittles and pull one out and go with it. beerchug.gif
Sample Skittles colors to choose from,,,

Click to view attachment

john
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.