Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: clear brake lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Medtner3
I need to replace the clear brake lines in the front of my 914... could someone possibly tell me the size of the cloth lines under the master cylinder reservoir and the size and length of the clear tubing from under the reservoir?

Can I assume any of the correct size clear plastic tubing would work and could maybe get at the hardware store?

Just asking because if that is the case I could fix that this weekend and put my rebuild back on track rather than waiting on parts to ship to me
ndfrigi
check 914rubber.com
Medtner3
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Feb 19 2022, 06:15 PM) *

check 914rubber.com

914rubber does not have the size of hoses listed on their website

I am looking for the size so I might be able to get the clear lines somewhere else.

If I buy from 914Rubber then I will have to wait for the hose to be shipped to me.

I want to fix this sooner than waiting yet another week
bdstone914
QUOTE(Medtner3 @ Feb 19 2022, 06:00 PM) *

I need to replace the clear brake lines in the front of my 914... could someone possibly tell me the size of the cloth lines under the master cylinder reservoir and the size and length of the clear tubing from under the reservoir?

Can I assume any of the correct size clear plastic tubing would work and could maybe get at the hardware store?

Just asking because if that is the case I could fix that this weekend and put my rebuild back on track rather than waiting on parts to ship to me

@Medtner3
I think they are 8mm ID. If you use a locally available source make sure it is intended for petroleum use. Most clear hose you find in hardware stores is meant for use with water.
Medtner3
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Feb 19 2022, 09:34 PM) *

@Medtner3
I think they are 8mm ID. If you use a locally available source make sure it is intended for petroleum use. Most clear hose you find in hardware stores is meant for use with water.

okay thanks
76-914
The plastic lines from 913 rubber that they supplied me for their MC are a different OD. I don't know if they'd work with any other MC than their own.
PatMc
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Feb 19 2022, 10:34 PM) *

@Medtner3

Why? Brake fluid is not petroleum based, and most rubbers (with the exception of silicone) that are approved for petroleum oils don’t play nice with brake fluid.

OP…when the blue brake fluid hose was tough to get for a bit back in the late ‘90s (at least for me)…we used to use the 5/16” clear braided “dishwasher hose” you can get at Home Depot….worked well and brake fluid didn’t react with it.
JoeD
I know you said you don't want to wait for them, and these are expensive, but just FYI I bought an OEM set recently from Porsche.

#s 11 and 12

https://www.porscheatlantaperimeterparts.co..._category=20124
Medtner3
QUOTE(JoeD @ Feb 20 2022, 08:22 AM) *

I know you said you don't want to wait for them, and these are expensive, but just FYI I bought an OEM set recently from Porsche.

#s 11 and 12

https://www.porscheatlantaperimeterparts.co..._category=20124

Thank you. Man, those are expensive. Were the lines more supple than your originals or are they hard and inflexible?

I am wondering where my leak came from now the line might have slipped out of the small cloth hose under the reservoir because it is old and lost its flex

I might try replacing those two small hoses first and make sure the old clear lines are not cracked a the top.
Craigers17
I know you said you don't want to wait, but PMB has them in stock according to their website. Much cheaper than the Porsche OEM ones. May be an option for you. Good luck.

https://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...63/10069609.htm

Note: Read the fine print. If you're a concours type of guy, the blue piece is black in their kit.
Medtner3
Problem solved, my clear lines were fine, the problem was the small cloth lines under the reservoir were old and hard and one of the clear lines had pulled loose
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.