Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mounting the clutch cable pulley sideways.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Mels
Saw on another thread the owner had remounted the clutch cable pulley horizontally. Seems like it would be a dirt collector. Any real advantage other than clearance for headers or?
JamesM
QUOTE(914Mels @ Feb 21 2022, 05:41 PM) *

Saw on another thread the owner had remounted the clutch cable pulley horizontally. Seems like it would be a dirt collector. Any real advantage other than clearance for headers or?

Only reason i know for modifying the pully is to keep your clutch cable from melting on headers.
Shivers
Clearance for the ground, it sits pretty low with the car at stock height.
GregAmy
Yup

"Relocates the clutch pulley to a horizontal position for better ground clearance and improved cable routing to clear exhaust header systems. Two sets of mounting holes allow adjustment for clutch cables that are too long, a common problem."

http://www.tangerineracing.com/transmission.htm
914Mels
Good to know. I'll add it to the list of non emergency redo's.
rfinegan
In my case, I was able to route the speedo and clutch cables above the headers so they do not make contact with the hot pipes.

Makes for a simple clean installation and nothing to snag on speed bumps or such too.
Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Feb 21 2022, 08:24 PM) *

Yup

"Relocates the clutch pulley to a horizontal position for better ground clearance and improved cable routing to clear exhaust header systems. Two sets of mounting holes allow adjustment for clutch cables that are too long, a common problem."

http://www.tangerineracing.com/transmission.htm

The reason the clutch cables are "too long" is because they were built to factory specifications. The specification was for the original plastic clutch clevis.

Click to view attachment

Somewhere along the line, the original clutch clevis was superceded by the one we have now.

Click to view attachment

It is much shorter and does not have rounded pins on the side like the factory one.

If you want to go more authentic and eliminate the spacers everyone puts on the cable, then get the clutch clevis from a 70-71 911. It will fit the cable and is the correct length. Weltmeister makes a great aluminum aftermarket one.

Click to view attachment

Clay
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.