Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OK - I give: where does the switched red/white get power from?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
I’ve been looking at this often on for a couple days now and just can’t seem to get my head around where the white/red circuit gets power from. I know that the white/red provides power to most of the gauges in the instrument cluster and it looks like that’s fed off a relay, but the wiring in this car is so hacked up it’s hard to see where that supposed to be getting power from.

Is power supposed to flow there off the ignition switch or does it come from the back relay board via the main front harness to the fuse box?
914sgofast2
What year is your 914? Is it a USA model or a ROW model?
Porsche used a wide variety of wiring harnesses in these cars.

If you look at the wiring diagrams in the Haynes 914 Shop Manual, it will drive you nuts trying to read it and trace the wiring from end to end.

I have spent 2 weeks trying to get my turn signals figured out and working correctly. The left side work turn signal works fine. The right side turn signal blinks both the right rear turn signal, the right rear tail light, and the right front parking & side marker lights for a right turn; but not the right front turn signal bulb. The 4-way Hazard Lights work correctly. I am running out of patience with this car.

My 914 is a December 1969 built model year 1970 USA market car with the 1.7 liter engine. I have also discovered that the colors of the wiring harnesses that come with replacement ignition switches and replacement turn signal switches does not match the colors of the 914 wiring harness whatsoever for my car, since the only replacement parts are for 1970 VW Beetles.
Tdskip
Oh boy - sounds like you are having fun too. Keep us posted and don't be shy about asking for help.

I have a 1974 that was converted to be an EV, it's got a 2.4L 911 /6 in it now.

Most of my dashboard wiring is intact still, but not getting power everywhere I should be. Ran new wires for the tach and oil pressure senders since that wiring was cut.

Just hoping someone here knows this off this top of their head!
914Mels
Fuse 9 supplies the red/white wire power at the fuse box. It is fed from the ignition switch.Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Thank you for taking the time to respond and post that - very much appreciated.
Tdskip
Thought I’d close a this out.

Looks like red/white on the fuse box is fed by black that gets switched 12v. I had power there so after I cleaned the connectors and wire ends and replaced the fuse I now have power to my gauges.

Thanks again for the help!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.