Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6’6”. Can I make it happen?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dgi
Found a local 914 project… its not too close to me but the idea intrigues me.

Can I make it work? Im 6’6”. 240lbs. 36” inseam. Size 16 shoe.

Tips? Tricks? Mockery?

I’ll take it all lol
mb911
QUOTE(dgi @ Feb 23 2022, 04:32 AM) *

Found a local 914 project… its not too close to me but the idea intrigues me.

Can I make it work? Im 6’6”. 240lbs. 36” inseam. Size 16 shoe.

Tips? Tricks? Mockery?

I’ll take it all lol

For sure with top off. Top on might be to tight.
mate914
Hi, I have seen driver seat lowered about two inches into the floor, making room for long people.
Matt flag.gif
GregAmy
Responded to you on FB. Congrats on finding the real source of good info on these cars.

Yes.

I'm 6'1" and I fit very comfortably, plenty of head room for a helmet. My seat is almost, but not quite, all the way back so there's some left to go.

The seat cushions are 4-6" thick and of crap foam. You could have one built with 2" of good Temperfoam (or similar) and give yourself another 2-3" head clearance.

You can also mod the backpad if you need more backward clearance.

Find one locally, sit in it. They're roomier than you think.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(dgi @ Feb 23 2022, 07:32 AM) *

Tips? Tricks? Mockery?

biggrin.gif I'm stupid, but not stupid enough to mock someone as big as you!

@sjhenry1075 is "Size Large" like you (and is also a great guy), and I believe he makes it work. He's in Bowie. There are a couple of other members here not too far from you.

welcome.png
Shivers
My Uncle was 6-4" and bought one new in 70'. He fit no mods
Front yard mechanic
I think you will fit. Can you drive barefooted? driving.gif
StarBear
6’2” 210 size 13. Fit just fine. That’s why I got the tenet back in 74 since didn’t fit in a 240Z very well. Ditto on the roof, though so either hat or roof off.
sixaddict
Tony , Cracker on here is .6.5 and made it work even considering helmet: I’m sure he would be happy to help,
He did cut and lower floor but that is extent of my knowledge.
Good luck
flipb
Well, Wilt Chamberlain folded himself into a 914 once.

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/video/pr...otage/126285922

Edit: Noticed that you're local-ish. If you find yourself down around my area, you're welcome to do a test-fit with mine. Totally stock interior.
dgi
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Feb 23 2022, 07:49 AM) *

Responded to you on FB. Congrats on finding the real source of good info on these cars.

Yes.

I'm 6'1" and I fit very comfortably, plenty of head room for a helmet. My seat is almost, but not quite, all the way back so there's some left to go.

The seat cushions are 4-6" thick and of crap foam. You could have one built with 2" of good Temperfoam (or similar) and give yourself another 2-3" head clearance.

You can also mod the backpad if you need more backward clearance.

Find one locally, sit in it. They're roomier than you think.

Glad I found the FB Group but figured this was the real source of info! Hoping to swing by the potential project car next week but didnt want to waste time if there was no "hope".
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Feb 23 2022, 08:00 AM) *

QUOTE(dgi @ Feb 23 2022, 07:32 AM) *

Tips? Tricks? Mockery?

biggrin.gif I'm stupid, but not stupid enough to mock someone as big as you!

@sjhenry1075 is "Size Large" like you (and is also a great guy), and I believe he makes it work. He's in Bowie. There are a couple of other members here not too far from you.

welcome.png

Bowie!? Will have to reach out to him, thanks!
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Feb 23 2022, 08:23 AM) *

I think you will fit. Can you drive barefooted? driving.gif

I've done worse to fit in cars I really want to drive lol
gereed75
Dgi, i'm 6'4"+, 205, 34" inseam. I am comfortable but getting right to the limits size Wise. Without some mods your size would be pushing it.

Siverson on here is the largest person I know who routinely drives these cars about the same size as you.

Great guy. I suggest you contact him as I believe he has made some big guy mods to his car
Andyrew
@cracker can probably shed some light on this.
siverson
I'm 6'6" and about 270 atm but on my way to join you at 240 hopefully. smile.gif

I've owned 914s since I was 15 and they work no problem. With "adjustments" I honestly feel like I fit better in my 914 than in my Tundra.

- small steering wheel - 350mm

- ~4" steering wheel extension brings it closer and up

- cut a U and lowered the back of the seat floor about 3/4"

- no seat rails

- shave extra fiberglass bumps off bottom of seat. probably not necessary, but gives you another 1/16". bolt seat to lowered floor.

- thin seat cushion

- I bent my shift lever to the right so the knob is about 2" to the right from the normal position.

Sit in a 914 without a seat and realize how much room there is! then just add back some small creature comforts like a seat.

I fit fine for daily driving put still have to have the top off with a helmet.

-Steve
dgi
QUOTE(siverson @ Feb 23 2022, 11:12 AM) *

I'm 6'6" and about 270 atm but on my way to join you at 240 hopefully. smile.gif

I've owned 914s since I was 15 and they work no problem. With "adjustments" I honestly feel like I fit better in my 914 than in my Tundra.

- no seat rails

- shave extra fiberglass bumps off bottom of seat. probably not necessary, but gives you another 1/16". bolt seat to lowered floor.

- thin seat cushion

- I bent my shift lever to the right so the knob is about 2" to the right from the normal position.

Sit in a 914 without a seat and realize how much room there is! then just add back some small creature comforts like a seat.

-Steve

Thank you for the info! Really gives me hope. Im hoping to drop some weight as well. What size shoe do you wear? Any issues with pedal spacing?
oakdalecurtis
I don't know if you have a center console, but if you do, your big right foot will drag the right side of the brake pedal when your foot is on the gas pedal. Here's a fix for that if this applies to you....

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...;hl=brake+pedal
siverson
Size 14 and no not really. I do prefer to remove the center console as that seems to get in the way a little. And I guess I also just prefer the look of no center console.

-Steve

QUOTE(dgi @ Feb 23 2022, 08:57 AM) *

QUOTE(siverson @ Feb 23 2022, 11:12 AM) *

- no seat rails

- thin seat cushion

-Steve

Thank you for the info! Really gives me hope. Im hoping to drop some weight as well. What size shoe do you wear? Any issues with pedal spacing?

RARE 6
6'3" and fit fine with a helmet and the bottom cushion in place...if I tilt the seat back. I think your problem will be shoe size and the pedals, not height.
930cabman
QUOTE(flipb @ Feb 23 2022, 08:57 AM) *

Well, Wilt Chamberlain folded himself into a 914 once.

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/video/pr...otage/126285922

Edit: Noticed that you're local-ish. If you find yourself down around my area, you're welcome to do a test-fit with mine. Totally stock interior.

If Wilt the Stilt can do it, anybody can. Good luck
914sgofast2
My son is 6'6" tall. When he put the top on, he had to take out the standard seat cushion bottom and sit on a thin piece of foam rubber so he would fit into the car and could drive it. He show size was 13, but he never complained about a lack of room around the pedals. It was the lack of headroom.
bkrantz
To check out your potential max head and leg room, remove the seat and slider (and back pad) and sit on the floor with your back against the firewall. From that point, figure out how much higher and more forward you can sit and design from there. You might get by with the stock seat shell mounted to the floor, and some thin bottom and back pads.

I am 6-2 with 36 inch inseam. When I built my 914 race car, I had to fit with my helmet on (and space between the helmet and roll cage/roof to satisfy regs. I tried the stock seat bolted to the floor, but ended up with an aluminum shell seat with a very thin pad.
emerygt350
I would also hope you are relatively bendable. I am 6 1 and 240 (all muscle wink.gif) and the car is perfectly comfortable when I am in it, but getting in and out is not as easy as it would have been 20 years ago.
ClayPerrine
Just take out the seat tracks and bolt the seat directly to the floor. That will add a few inches in head room to the car.

Of course, I don't have that problem. I even store stuff behind the driver's seat.piratenanner.gif

914Toy
Install a steering wheel extension - 3" to 4" - will improve long legs clearance.
sjhenry1075
I'm sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I havent checked the forum in a few days.

I'm 6'7 and roughly 290 lbs and wear a size 17/18 shoe. I fit pretty good and can drive the car fine but I have to take off my right shoe. Also, forget about having a center console.

My car has the stock steering wheel, which if you upgrade to a smaller one could help. Also, my seat is all the way back and tilted back if this makes sense. I removed the backpad to see if it helped with legroom, but it did not.
volksswag63
Go for it. I'm 6'6" 238lbs and I bought my 914 in Oct. 1st gear is kinda tricky, the stick is pretty much under my thigh. I have a smaller steering wheel than the standard though. Not sure it'd work with the stock wheel.
sjhenry1075
QUOTE(volksswag63 @ Mar 1 2022, 01:52 PM) *

Go for it. I'm 6'6" 238lbs and I bought my 914 in Oct. 1st gear is kinda tricky, the stick is pretty much under my thigh. I have a smaller steering wheel than the standard though. Not sure it'd work with the stock wheel.

I used to have the same issue with 1st gear until the shifter broke and when it was rewelded I twisted it a little bit, so it fits easier and I can actually shift out of 1st gear.
Ansbacher
If the car has A/C your giant sized shoe will hit the blower motor. I have size 13 feet and had that problem. Luckily the A/C was shot, so I removed all the components. Now no problem. I do not find the center console to be a problem.

Ansbacher
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.