Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB Muffler Section
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
jdamiano
My 73 2.0 muffler is in great condition other than a hole bottom passenger. I think because the car has been stored most of its life moisture formed there and rusted a quarter size hole. I’m wondering if anyone had a scrap muffler they are willing to section drivers top I can use to repair mine?
Van B
If you can grind to bright metal, that should be real easy to patch.
jdamiano
QUOTE(Van B @ Feb 24 2022, 11:25 AM) *

If you can grind to bright metal, that should be real easy to patch.

It’s right on the end of the muffler where it’s almost round. I’m having a hard time shaping the metal to match. I really want to fix it in a way no one will know I was there. If I can’t find a section to buy I’m going to have to step up my metal shaping skills I guess.
Van B
feathering the weld edges and paint are your best friend in making a patch disappear. But you don't want to flush fit it like a body panel. All that carbon inside the muffler will make it near impossible to get a clean weld if you try to weld as a butt joint.

For radius pieces it can help to use a bigger piece of metal so you can get some leverage when shaping and then trim it to size when you're ready to weld. Just don't over do it on metal thickness, it's not a load bearing part. Ultimately you just need to get it close enough in shape that you can press it together while tacking it down.

But, if you're like me and just looking for an excuse to buy some more parts, please ignore everything I just said and enjoy your search for new toys!

Van
mb911
By a hemisphere end cap and cut what you need out of it. There is a place in Texas that sells them for like 10 bucks..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.