Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel line kink
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
trojanhorsepower
Hi All,
Strange question. The rubber fuel lines that come out from under the tank both are kinking right where they leave the tank nipples. I cut them down as short as I can. It still kinked. Its like the nipple is too long, or the tuning is not strong enough. It came from tangerine racing. It gets nasty black all over me if it gets fuel on it. Kind of weird fuel lines would not be ok around fuel....

Thanks,

Peter
nditiz1
If you put a loop in it it should not kink. Check out iankarr's vid on installing SS lines he goes over this.
trojanhorsepower
Yeah, I thought that was how I had it originally. I will get some more hose and redo it.

Thanks
bkrantz
Make sure you get quality tubing, preferably high pressure, often sold as "fuel injection" hose.
Spoke
@trojanhorsepower

I had an issue with Tangerine Racing tubes as well. The issue was the bend at the gas tank was not enough to allow room for the hoses to connect. I had to further bend them to allow room for the hose connections.

Here's the initial install. The pipes point right to the front wall.

Click to view attachment

So I further bent the tubes to give more clearance.

Click to view attachment

Now they fit better and I could easily get the hoses over the tubes. It doesn't look much different in the pictures but the fit was much better.

Click to view attachment

I opted to not connect the lines directly to the gas tank as I didn't like being under the car making connections and especially if the tank needed to be lifted for any reason then trying to disconnect the tank. I even welded closed the round access hole.

The hoses are routed to the driver side where I mounted the fuel pump.

Click to view attachment

The hoses do not kink and the extra hoses allowed me to do all the connections above the car and if the tank needs to be pulled, just lift the tank. I can still run the engine with the tank lifted. Also allowed me to check for leaks once all the hoses were connected.

Click to view attachment [u][/u]
trojanhorsepower
OK thanks for all the responses. I will pull the tank out and try new line and try to add some bend to the SS.
ChrisFoley
Ian sent me a note that some fuel hose I sent him was giving off black residue when wet with gas so I took a sample of the hose I had in stock and left it in a jar of gas for a month. It didn't let off any residue, but its possible that the previous spool of hose from Gates had an issue.
trojanhorsepower
Hi Chris,
I purchased my kit a while back so you probably don't have that batch anymore. The first picture is with just a few drops of gas. The second is after pulling the lines off the tank.Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The line seems fine once it dries just seems to kink easily. Ill see if the Napa stuff is usable.
TC 914-8
I just redid all my lines with -6 AN fittings and I use steel fabricated lines from the auto parts store I made sure I had plenty of loops in the piping to avoid kinking. All works well so far.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
All the modern FI hose kinks easily. I have a spring overlay to prevent kinking of the 9.5mm id stuff but nothing for the 8mm.
Steve
I used wire loom around the gas line under the tank to prevent it from kinking. Wrap it around the line and use tie wraps to keep it from coming off. Similar to the spring idea. I got it at the local Ace hardware store. Something similar to this. https://www.cabletiesandmore.com/black-wire...NgaAixCEALw_wcB
TC 914-8
I just redid all my lines with -6 AN fittings and I use steel fabricated lines from the auto parts store I made sure I had plenty of loops in the piping to avoid kinking. All works well so far.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.