Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LHS Ignition Switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom1394racing
I know this is probably a dumb question but here goes...On my 914-6 GT project, can I simply move my 914 ignition switch to the LHS of the 911 steering column? I realize that the steering lock would not function on the 911 steering column, but it seems to me that it would make the wiring easier.
jim dorociak
Tom - part of the project to relocate the ignition switch is to build a proper 911 style switch with lock to steering wheel, but you also have the 911 wiper switch on the right side and it is a 3 speed wiper motor, and the headlight/ turnsignal switch and then there are the 914-6 unique clam shell around the steering column. There are some unique early 911 features the 914-6 have - the ignition switch, steering column/switches, 3 speed wiper motor, hand throttle lever (originally car had carbs and was the 911T 2.0 motor 110 hp. The rear calipers have larger piston size than the 4 cylinder cars - of course 911 5 x 130 bolt pattern parts - different spline torsion bars. Jim
Tom1394racing
Jim

I appreciate your reply to my question. I’m becoming familiar with many of the 914-6 GT specific features that will need to be incorporated into my project. My specific question was just about the ignition switch. If I’m not interested in the steering interlock, do I need to use a 911 locking ignition switch or could I simply relocate existing 914 ignition switch. The objective would simply be to simplify the wiring of the ignition switch.
nditiz1
So can I ask what is the purpose of flipping it?

It is my understanding if going for the GT style you would need to have an early 914 style setup where the switch was in the dash. If going this route and not wanting to use the standard 911 setup you would still want one that mounts to the dash and have a tumbler that also accepts the key. If this solution exists I'd be interested to know what those parts are as it would be a cheaper solution to converting everything. This simple solution would also be the only way I can see to simplify the switch wiring - 3 post setup.

As Jim stated, a lot of the cost is for the early 911/914-6 parts that convert the setup to use the LHS dash ignition switch.
mepstein
Usually it involves:

Early 911 steering column with turn signal and wiper switch
Welding the 914 steering column mounting plate to the 911 column. Note - early 914's will require a custom mounting plate.

911 ignition switch
Restoration Design 914-6 metal dash piece welded in to accept the 911 ignition switch
914-6 ignition bezel (JimmyT makes a nice one)

Early flat hub 914 steering wheel. Model number ends in "10"
911 turn signal cancel ring
911 horn plunger

Rewire switches.

nditiz1
Could all that be avoided, while not correct, cut off the 914 rhs ignition hump and weld a patch over the hole. Find an ignition switch to fill the standard hole in the dash covered by fabric? Breakout wires from the stock ignition and rewire it to it?
mepstein
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Feb 25 2022, 09:24 AM) *

Could all that be avoided, while not correct, cut off the 914 rhs ignition hump and weld a patch over the hole. Find an ignition switch to fill the standard hole in the dash covered by fabric? Breakout wires from the stock ignition and rewire it to it?

Yes.
Steve
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 25 2022, 06:43 AM) *

Yes.

The very early 911 had a separate ignition switch without a lockout. Some people use that one and just rewire it. But you still end up with the VW windshield wiper and turn signal levers.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 25 2022, 08:53 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 25 2022, 06:43 AM) *

Yes.

The very early 911 had a separate ignition switch without a lockout. Some people use that one and just rewire it. But you still end up with the VW windshield wiper and turn signal levers.

And the very early 911 used a 356 style key, not the key that was used in a 914. So you end up with a separate ignition key.

And no, you can't move the guts from a later ignition switch over.

Superhawk996
QUOTE(Tom1394racing @ Feb 24 2022, 02:54 PM) *

. . . can I simply move my 914 ignition switch to the LHS of the 911 steering column?

Short answer. No.

The 914 switch and key & tumbler assembly are carried by the steering column housing. There will be no provision for mounting that assembly to the dash directly.

Now that I've said that someone will prove me wrong by creating a rats nest of hardware store splice connectors, JB weld, duct tape, and a lot of creativity. laugh.gif
Tom1394racing
Thanks to jim hoyland and sixnotfour for showing how to do this

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...witch&st=20
Superhawk996
I retract my previous statement - that is a lot better then JB weld and duct tape smile.gif Great creativity and no rats nest of splices!
jim_hoyland
When I the LHI change, I left the original ignition on the right. A robber cap covers the switch. If the new left side switch failed, I can pull the plug off and reattach to the original.
To date, the LH switch hasn’t failed; and I can install the modified clamshell that deleted the ignition
sixnotfour
Jim I will buy those pieces back...LMK,, Left Hand....
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 27 2022, 04:29 PM) *

Jim I will buy those pieces back...LMK,, Left Hand....

I’m going to install the clamshell; it’s a great piece of workmanship. If my LHI switch fails, I can still pull off the plug and attach it to the original switch, just let it hang.

BTW; I need to return that special guide used for enlarging the fog light switch hole.
PM me your address and I’ll get it out tomorrow
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.