Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear view mirror adhesive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
IronHillRestorations
I’m going to be installing a new windshield soon and curious if there’s anything new for rear view mirror adhesive.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the factory mirror patch is best
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Feb 25 2022, 08:19 AM) *

I’m going to be installing a new windshield soon and curious if there’s anything new for rear view mirror adhesive.

jvmarino
That is the same thing I was recently made aware of. It leads me to a question on my mirror attachment.

Years ago when I restored my 914, I used the typical car store 2 part mirror adhesive and it would hold for about 10 years and then drop off, and I would then reinstall with the same product. I think I last did this adhesive install about 3 years ago, but then soon after, was made aware that the adhesive patch is the better method. I purchased the patch and was hoping I could slice the current adhesive bond with some thin SS fishing line, but no luck. Does anyone know of a good method to remove a mount that was attached with the liquid adhesive? Or do I just need to wait another 5 years for it to weaken and fall off?
914Mels
Take an adjustable wrench and once you get a grip on the mount, twist it sideways to break the bond. Don't try to pull it to you, away from the glass or you may break the windshield.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 25 2022, 08:27 AM) *

the factory mirror patch is best
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Feb 25 2022, 08:19 AM) *

@dr914 @autoatlanta.com. Thanks George, I didn’t know there was a factory part. Is it a kit, or do you have to get adhesive too?
windforfun
It's just double sided sticky tape wit a thin foam core. 3M makes it.
76-914
QUOTE(jvmarino @ Feb 25 2022, 08:42 AM) *

That is the same thing I was recently made aware of. It leads me to a question on my mirror attachment.

Years ago when I restored my 914, I used the typical car store 2 part mirror adhesive and it would hold for about 10 years and then drop off, and I would then reinstall with the same product. I think I last did this adhesive install about 3 years ago, but then soon after, was made aware that the adhesive patch is the better method. I purchased the patch and was hoping I could slice the current adhesive bond with some thin SS fishing line, but no luck. Does anyone know of a good method to remove a mount that was attached with the liquid adhesive? Or do I just need to wait another 5 years for it to weaken and fall off?

Heat gun but not too hot worked for me. beerchug.gif
Morrie
How many inches down from the top and what reference point. I think I remember George saying 4 inches down from the top of the trim to the top of the stock square pad, but I can no longer find the reference. Mine is definitely too high.
zoomCat
QUOTE(Morrie @ Feb 26 2022, 02:26 PM) *

How many inches down from the top and what reference point. I think I remember George saying 4 inches down from the top of the trim to the top of the stock square pad, but I can no longer find the reference. Mine is definitely too high.

Looks like 4 inches is correct. From the service manual:
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.