Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cayenne Tow Rig for the 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jaredmcginness
Hey guys,

Wanted to share some photos with ya'll.

IPB Image

I added a rear hitch receiver to my new (to me) Cayenne. It is a 3.6 vr6 - so not the IDEAL rig. However, I only had to run an hour cruise from Baltimore to York PA. Ran great in gear 7, 65mph and no issues.

I did get a fresh transfer case (thank you PCNA!) so I wasn't too concerned about that.

IPB Image

The reason for the haul:

After the last horrible shop experience I had locally, I decided to nut-up and take my car to the pros for a dial in...
She'll be at Translog for the next month or so, they were able to squeeze me in! Hoping for the best but the folks there are super kind and feel like the real deal.

IPB Image

Cheers!

BillJ
Your.max tow capacity is 7700 so you are way below threshold. They make nice tow rigs. I use my diesel to tow my 24' enclosed with no issues.
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Nov 23 2021, 09:36 AM) *

Super cool! Man I want to build one, what trans are you running?

Nice, use them like they’re meant to be used! Looks like it handles the uhaul rig a bit better than the wife’s GLE (my tow rig for the past 3 years). The uhaul is heavy at the tongue, I’m assuming they do this purposely for the amateur tow haulers.
mepstein
Uhaul trailers are heavy and I’m not a fan of their wheel straps but are a cheap and easy way to tow a car. I probably picked up 10-12 914’s over the years with them. Now I use my friends feather light trailer and his dually truck. It’s really nice but I don’t want to own and care for a trailer.

A couple years ago my dad bought a used tractor off a Craigslist seller. I suggested he tow it home with a uhaul trailer on his Jeep Wrangler. He did the pickup, returned the trailer and was shocked when they said it was $28 for the day. He thought it was per hour.
dlee6204
Cayennes are fantastic for hauling P cars around. Buying one has been one of the better car choices I've made.

Glad to hear you're getting your car back on the right track. Hopefully it gets worked out soon.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Jett
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 26 2022, 11:16 AM) *

Uhaul trailers are heavy and I’m not a fan of their wheel straps but are a cheap and easy way to tow a car. I probably picked up 10-12 914’s over the years with them. Now I use my friends feather light trailer and his dually truck. It’s really nice but I don’t want to own and care for a trailer.

A couple years ago my dad bought a used tractor off a Craigslist seller. I suggested he tow it home with a uhaul trailer on his Jeep Wrangler. He did the pickup, returned the trailer and was shocked when they said it was $28 for the day. He thought it was per hour.

smile.gif I bought a Featherlite 17’, was designed for carrying Harley’s but fits the 914 perfectly, and because it is all aluminum there is little maintenance. I do have to jump in and out the window as the doors align to the wheels wells. Very easy tow with our 2020 Toyota LandCruiser Heritage.
mlindner
I need a bigger tow vehicle, but last summer after I had my little accident the 914 went and returned on a rental U-Haul pulled by my son's Atlas. The trailer works very nice.Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 26 2022, 12:16 PM) *

Looks like U-Haul trailers weigh 2,200+ lbs, which is too heavy with a 914 on top for our family truckster.

What's a Featherlite weigh? Would need to find a friend with one, also… wink.gif
jaredmcginness
QUOTE(BillJ @ Feb 26 2022, 12:23 PM) *

I use my diesel to tow my 24' enclosed with no issues.

driving.gif that’s awesome!

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 26 2022, 02:16 PM) *

$28 for the day. He thought it was per hour.

Haha! Mine was $220 because it was 1 way. Woof.

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Feb 26 2022, 03:03 PM) *

Buying one has been one of the better car choices I've made.

Glad to hear you're getting your car back on the right track. Hopefully it gets worked out soon.

Awesome to hear and only reinforces my purchase! Waiting on my 356 barn pull smile.gif great pics.

Much appreciated, can’t wait to hear about the car. I’m sure they will love a few of my shade tree fixes. Lol
Van B
Can I join the party? Took my TDI when I bought mine in Atlanta. Pulled it home like a champ. Since U-Haul started putting modern tires on their trailers, they pull much better than they used to.
mepstein
QUOTE(jaredmcginness @ Feb 26 2022, 07:49 PM) *

QUOTE(BillJ @ Feb 26 2022, 12:23 PM) *

I use my diesel to tow my 24' enclosed with no issues.

driving.gif that’s awesome!

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 26 2022, 02:16 PM) *

$28 for the day. He thought it was per hour.

Haha! Mine was $220 because it was 1 way. Woof.

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Feb 26 2022, 03:03 PM) *

Buying one has been one of the better car choices I've made.

Awesome to hear and only reinforces my purchase! Waiting on my 356 barn pull smile.gif great pics.

Much appreciated, can’t wait to hear about the car. I’m sure they will love a few of my shade tree fixes. Lol

Wow. That’s a lot. Next time, call me when one of your cars needs a ride. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.