Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Revised PPS from PNA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DaveB
A while ago I posted a PPS I received on my 914 build because the as-delivered interior was identified as beige leather. I had a WTF moment because everything in the car that was original indicated black leatherette. Plus beige leather didn't exist unless my 914 was a unicorn. This is what I posted:

Click to view attachment

The forum identified that code 80 was for a medium blue tartan insert. I never would have figured that out. This option was only available with the ancona metallic blue my car came with. This is what I sent to PNA:

I believe there may be an error in the Porsche Production Specification (PPS) for my 1975 914/4, serial number 475908998, regarding the interior material color identified. The Code in the PPS is identified as 80. The interior material on the PPS is identified as Beige Leather. I believe the code 80 is correct and the interior material color is incorrect. I am attaching a copy of the 1975 914 Colors and Interiors. This identifies Code 80 as Black Leatherette Interior Trim, Medium Blue Plaid. It is only to be used with paint color X5V9 Ancona Blue Metallic, which matches this vehicle’s exterior color on the PPS (and the car’s Karmann Plate of L97B). I cannot find an option for either beige leather or any leather material from the factory for a 1975 Porsche 914. Beige leather was an option for a 911S and Carrera in 1975 under code 86.
If you determine that Code 80 for the interior is correct and the interior material is Black Leatherette with Medium Blue Plaid Cloth inlay, would it be possible to issue a new PPS with this data? I would like to make sure I correctly restore this 914/4 to how it was assembled at the factory.

I just received this in the mail:

Click to view attachment

Everyone that helped figure this out - thanks. I have no issues with PNA and am glad I checked this out with the forum. Lessons learned with a PPS. I could have spent a lot of unnecessary time and money installing the wrong interior. Beige is nice but I really like the metallic blue with this med blue plaid. I've got the black leatherette with blue tartan seat upholstery and tartan side panels (not stock but I think it looks cool) on order from 914Rubber.

DaveB
Van B
Surprising and not at the same time. I know the old style VINs are more difficult than the modern VIN format, but you’d think of all the places, PNA would be the last to screw it up!
bobboinski
Did PNA include an explanation of their error on the original PPS you received?
DaveB
QUOTE(bobboinski @ Feb 26 2022, 02:21 PM) *

Did PNA include an explanation of their error on the original PPS you received?

Nope. It came with the stock cover letter. Emails received said they were going to evaluate my request and then I received one which let me know they agreed with the request and would send out a new PPS.

In '75 we were using paper tape and card hoppers to load computer programs. I doubt the factory was using online build sheets. They probably scanned their paper build sheets 20 years later into a database. My guess is they saw 1975 code 80, couldn't read the sheet description and misread the lookup as code 86. I wasn't expected a letter which said they were sorry and Herr Ludwig is getting new glasses. Probably a liability/legal reason not to provide any explanation.

DaveB
Unobtanium-inc
That's the great thing about pre-69, you can get the Kardex and decipher it yourself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.