Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cable shifting 901 can it be done
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeepguy06
Hello all,

My buddy and i are looking at trying to make his side shift 901 trans into a cable shift set up. does anyone know if this has been done and if so where to find the info. i found one on the net that a guy did back in 02 but i wanted to see if anyone else has came up with something.

Steve
QUOTE(jeepguy06 @ Feb 28 2022, 08:16 AM) *

Hello all,

My buddy and i are looking at trying to make his side shift 901 trans into a cable shift set up. does anyone know if this has been done and if so where to find the info. i found one on the net that a guy did back in 02 but i wanted to see if anyone else has came up with something.

http://cableshift.com/

I have not heard of any happy campers using this solution. You can't beat the side shifter for a 901/914/915 trans.
Unobtanium-inc
I used to the cable shift system in the 550 build, took a lot of modifying to make it work and still working out the kinks. In the defense of the company, it's made for a VW Type 1 gearbox and the guy said it would be tricky to get to work.
I'll report back if I get it fully operational.
mepstein
QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 28 2022, 11:20 AM) *

QUOTE(jeepguy06 @ Feb 28 2022, 08:16 AM) *

Hello all,

http://cableshift.com/

I have not heard of any happy campers using this solution. You can't beat the side shifter for a 901/914/915 trans.

agree.gif
Good working trans, tangerine racing linkage, Jwest shifter. In my opinion, the best way to go and all pretty much a bolt in system.
rhodyguy
agree.gif looks like an headbang.gif expensive experiment to me.
VaccaRabite
There are several people that have made cable shifters for 914s.
But they are usually for engine swaps to adapt different transmissions that are geared better for the engine they are using, or because the 901 transmission has been moved too far out of position by the new motor for the stock system to work.

For a stock motor, or even a big 6, using a 901 trans it makes a lot of sence to stay with a solid linkage - using the Tangerine as an upgrade. I have this kit on my car and its killer.

Zach
roblav1
An Apex helicopter universal joint at the firewall made a huge improvement on mine.
mepstein
QUOTE(roblav1 @ Mar 1 2022, 08:55 AM) *

An Apex helicopter universal joint at the firewall made a huge improvement on mine.

I think that’s pretty much what all the upgraded 911 shift rod couplers are using.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 1 2022, 08:30 AM) *

I think that’s pretty much what all the upgraded 911 shift rod couplers are using.

I just use a U-Joint from leftover steering shafts. I have lots of them, so all I have to do is weld the shafts into the linkage.

Clay
mepstein
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 1 2022, 09:58 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 1 2022, 08:30 AM) *

I just use a U-Joint from leftover steering shafts. I have lots of them, so all I have to do is weld the shafts into the linkage.

Clay

You can also buy the splined stubs to weld into the hollow shift rods and then the u joints will bolt on.
jeepguy06
My buddies car is a v8 with the 901 trans, who ever did the build has cut and rewelding the shifter and its very sloppy when trying to shift. he has replaced all the cups and bushing trying to get it better and has not worked. i just dropped a Subaru motor into my 914 with the Subaru trans. he really liked how nice mine shifted with the cables. and so we decided to see what we can do with his.
Steve
QUOTE(jeepguy06 @ Mar 1 2022, 09:11 AM) *

My buddies car is a v8 with the 901 trans, who ever did the build has cut and rewelding the shifter and its very sloppy when trying to shift. he has replaced all the cups and bushing trying to get it better and has not worked. i just dropped a Subaru motor into my 914 with the Subaru trans. he really liked how nice mine shifted with the cables. and so we decided to see what we can do with his.

Subaru motor, subaru trans and cable shifter is a different animal.
Either invest in a Tangerine shift setup
http://www.tangerineracing.com/transmission.htm
or recommended option is a hydraulic clutch with Boxster S trans with Boxster cables for the V8 conversion.
Now you will have a beefier transmission with six speeds and easier to shift.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.