Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are 1.7 and 1.8 exhaust pipes the same diameter?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jrmdir
Hi:

Yes, there are a lot of threads on this and I just read most of them. Including ones with detailed charts of how to tell different HE's apart. I probably missed it but there seemed to be no distinction between 1.7 and 1.8. I.E., if the rear of the pipes curve up they will work with either engine.

My 1.7 came with no HE shrouds on the pipes so I located a used set and pulled the old pipes off this weekend. To my surprise, they are larger in diameter than the 1.7 set I purchased. The "new" set is 36mm - which agrees with the research. However, my "old" set is around 42mm, thanks to a transition at the engine end. See photo. Otherwise, in terms of length and layout they are identical.

I'm certain my engine is the original 1.7 that came with the car so I have no idea where the larger pipes came from. Can anyone help me figure this out?

Thanks,

Ron

Click to view attachment

Van B
Negative. 1.8 and 2.0 are same diameter. But, 1.7 and 1.8 have the same bends. This was something I had to research when I bought my 1.8. Also, pretty much all the aftermarket pipes use the 1.8/2.0 diameter regardless of the bend style.
914Sixer
Stock 1.7 and 1.8 are different diameter size pipes. Aftermarket are in most cases the same size for all 3 engines.
jrmdir
Thanks! So apparently at some point a PO switched to 1.8 HEs. I believe they're not aftermarket as the cast engine mounting ends have the correct Porsche (VW?) part number stamped in

This probably makes sense since the car also has Sebring quad tip mufflers. If he was looking for a few more HP, why stick those on tiny 1.7 pipes?

Thanks again,

Ron.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.