Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone used off-the-shelf exhaust studs in a pinch?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jrmdir
Hi:

I'm swapping out the HE's on my 1.7 and found that, incredibly, a DAPO installed them with no copper gaskets! So I ordered some and am now ready to go. Except I didn't think to order new studs and nuts. This not a permanent project as I expect to refresh the engine later this year - I just want to get it back on the road this weekend.

In that case, I'm considering either re-using the old studs (which all came out due to rusted nuts) or trying these Dorman parts. I may need to shorten them but they appear to be the correct thread size. Is there anything I'm not thinking of if I use these?

https://www.autozone.com/emission-control-a...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks,

Ron
Superhawk996
QUOTE(jrmdir @ Mar 3 2022, 09:19 AM) *

Hi:

I'm swapping out the HE's on my 1.7 and found that, incredibly, a DAPO installed them with no copper gaskets! So I ordered some and am now ready to go. Except I didn't think to order new studs and nuts. This not a permanent project as I expect to refresh the engine later this year - I just want to get it back on the road this weekend.

In that case, I'm considering either re-using the old studs (which all came out due to rusted nuts) or trying these Dorman parts. I may need to shorten them but they appear to be the correct thread size. Is there anything I'm not thinking of if I use these?

https://www.autozone.com/emission-control-a...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks,

Ron

The heads could care less what stud is in it. It won't automatically barf.gif out non-VW parts.

Just make sure thread size, pitch, and length are appropriate for your engine as there were variances between 1.7, 1.8, 2.0L (not sure off the top of my head - see PET).

Use high temp anti-seize between steel studs and aluminum head to prevent galling / seizing.
VaccaRabite
As long as the stockers are okay, there is no good reason not to reuse them.
But if the rusted on nuts eroded the studs, the autozone studs should be fine.

As long as the studs are out of the head, inspect the hell out of the head to make sure the bores and internal threading are good. I always worry about those when the studs come out. And if you need to size up to step studs, this would be the time to find out - not when you are putting everything back together.

Zach
jrmdir
Hi guys - thanks for the quick responses and good advice!

Robn

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.