Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Rack Rebuild Parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GeorgeKopf
I've disassembled my steering housing and would like to replace the bearings and the radial shaft seal.

Does anybody know where I can purchase the radial shaft seal? Part Number: 900 112 019 40 - Number 10 in this picture. Pelican Parts says it is no longer available.

And does anybody know where can I purchase the bearings? Part Number: 900 052 007 00 - Number 20 in this picture.
Click to view attachment

Also, does anybody know how to remove the bottom bearing in the steering rack housing? Mine does not have an access plate on the bottom so I can't press it out and there is no way to pry it out.

Thanks.

George
GeorgeKopf
I just found them on ECS Tuning and Vertex Auto.

Now if I can just figure out how to remove the bottom bearing.

Thanks.

George
914Mels
Never done this before but is there room under the bearing for a slide hammer hook?
Arno914
Hello George,

those seals (#10) are standard stuff (at least in "metric" countries dry.gif ) I just bought those locally at an industrial Hardware store for about $5 a piece.

Size is 40x28x7 mm (No guarantee since I havenĀ“t installed the seal yet. But someone else here might be able to confirm.)

Bearings should also be (cheap) standard stuff. Would see if the old ones are still usable after a good clean and regrease.

Arno

IPB Image
Olympic 914
This may help, some part numbers are included.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=273545&hl=

I believe I used a carriage bolt to pull out the bottom bearing. drop a nut in beside it to keep it in place.

GeorgeKopf
@Olympic 914

The carriage bolt trick is ingenious. It took me a little bit of experimentation to figure out what you were talking about. Once I found a carriage bolt with a head small enough to fit inside the bearing race and long enough to reach above the housing, I was able to lever the bearing out from bottom. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Thank you for the tip.

George
Mikey914
We offer the rebuild as a service as there are about 8 different versions of the racks. I have these if you can't find them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.