Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Regulator Mystery Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jackspratt
Got the fuel pump to pump. But still won't start up. I have fuel up to the input of the fuel regulator. The hose is still attached in the pic. I started to take off that hose and right away fuel was dripping.

The other side that you see the hose is offhad ZERO fuel coming out. I put a little bag under the outlet end of the regulator and turned the ignition on for the pump to activate and nothing coming out this end that attached to the fuel rails on the driver's side.

Am I to assume that I need a new fuel regulator? Or can the fuel regulator be fixed?

And does the fuel first go in the regulator and out on the drivers side of the engine and then flow over to the passenger side and then once the injectors detect that, they are supposed to fire up?

Absolutely a newbie on all this. 1973 914

Any help is greatly appreciated smile.gif
Click to view attachment
BeatNavy
QUOTE(jackspratt @ Mar 4 2022, 05:02 PM) *

And does the fuel first go in the regulator and out on the drivers side of the engine and then flow over to the passenger side and then once the injectors detect that, they are supposed to fire up?

I think you've got it backwards. In stock 1.7/2.0 (not sure about 1.8, but think it's similar) fuel routes from pump, to supply line, to passenger side injector fuel rail, then over to driver's side fuel injector fuel rail, to the fuel pressure regulator, and finally to the return fuel line back to the tank.

Fuel injectors don't "detect" fuel to fire. They are fired in pairs by the trigger points set on the distributor.

From Jeff Bowlsby's site. The FP regulator is the thing down closest to the word "Engine" on the bottom of the pic.

IPB Image
JamesM
QUOTE(jackspratt @ Mar 4 2022, 03:02 PM) *

Got the fuel pump to pump. But still won't start up. I have fuel up to the input of the fuel regulator. The hose is still attached in the pic. I started to take off that hose and right away fuel was dripping.

The other side that you see the hose is offhad ZERO fuel coming out. I put a little bag under the outlet end of the regulator and turned the ignition on for the pump to activate and nothing coming out this end that attached to the fuel rails on the driver's side.

Am I to assume that I need a new fuel regulator? Or can the fuel regulator be fixed?

Absolutely a newbie on all this. 1973 914

Any help is greatly appreciated smile.gif
Click to view attachment

Cant see how you have everything setup but...

Pressure is held before the regulator so the fuel flow should look like

Fuel pump -> fuel rails -> regulator side port

End port on the regulator then goes back to the tank return.
jackspratt
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Mar 4 2022, 02:24 PM) *

QUOTE(jackspratt @ Mar 4 2022, 05:02 PM) *

I think you've got it backwards. In stock 1.7/2.0 (not sure about 1.8, but think it's similar) fuel routes from pump, to supply line, to passenger side injector fuel rail, then over to driver's side fuel injector fuel rail, to the fuel pressure regulator, and finally to the return fuel line back to the tank.

Fuel injectors don't "detect" fuel to fire. They are fired in pairs by the trigger points set on the distributor.

From Jeff Bowlsby's site. The FP regulator is the thing down closest to the word "Engine" on the bottom of the pic.

IPB Image

Thanks for this diagram. I'm going to see if my lines are routed right. Could be possible the fuel lines at the pump itself are wrong? will see
JeffBowlsby
Here is another of the pump area

https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_FI_Hose...ump_1970-74.jpg
BeatNavy
QUOTE(jackspratt @ Mar 5 2022, 12:15 AM) *

Could be possible the fuel lines at the pump itself are wrong? will see

It's certainly happened to people before. Check out the link that Jeff provided. Fuel line routing with the stock setup can be a little confusing and counterintuitive given all the pieces and hoses involved.
jackspratt
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Mar 4 2022, 09:22 PM) *

So, checked the fuel lines to make sure they were attached to the right inlet / exits . Looks right. I had the wrong sequence of flow in mind. Flow goes from up from pump pressure to pasengers side of engine, over to the other side through drivers side rails, to regulator and out the other end and over to the other side passengers and down to the return inlet pump. Right? So that means I've got to disconnect pump pressure hose and see if I'm getting flow.... I think. I know I have suction, but never checked the pressure out from the fuel pump yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.