Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brass shift coupler bushings are totally worth it
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Just finished rebuilding the red ex-Turbo car’s Shift coupler using brass bushings and I have to say that I think these are going to be my default solution going forward. They can take a little bit of polishing to fit but once you do that it makes for a very tight and smooth couple of action and I found the difference in shift feel to be quite noticeable.

Worth a try if you’re thinking about doing his job soon.
930cabman
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 5 2022, 12:45 PM) *

Just finished rebuilding the red ex-Turbo car’s Shift coupler using brass bushings and I have to say that I think these are going to be my default solution going forward. They can take a little bit of polishing to fit but once you do that it makes for a very tight and smooth couple of action and I found the difference in shift feel to be quite noticeable.

Worth a try if you’re thinking about doing his job soon.

Did you use Oilite? with impregnated oil. last year I switched to Oilite and never looked back, much more precise than plastic.
iankarr
Same here. Simple and noticeable upgrade
76-914
When I still had the V8 in the red 914 I installed a set of those and the difference was like night and day. I posted about them but most comments were they are too expensive. av-943.gif
jim_hoyland
Who sells these ?
76-914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 5 2022, 04:22 PM) *

Who sells these ?

I bought mine from Pelican Jim beerchug.gif
ndfrigi
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/PELB...amp;ByPassCat=Y

Click to view attachment

I did use also the bronze bushing for the transmission console and sure it was a good upgrade. My only concern with it, it may worn out the long linkage rod and the pin of the coupler since it is grinding with 2 hard surface, compare to plastic.
Easy to buy the bushings than the rod and the pin for the coupler.
Freezin 914
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Mar 5 2022, 09:25 PM) *

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/PELB...amp;ByPassCat=Y

Click to view attachment

I did use also the bronze bushing for the transmission console and sure it was a good upgrade. My only concern with it, it may worn out the long linkage rod and the pin of the coupler since it is grinding with 2 hard surface, compare to plastic.
Easy to buy the bushings than the rod and the pin for the coupler.

Has anybody run these for a long period of time to confirm wear rate??
914Sixer
$10 cheaper on ebay and $3 shipping.
brant
I’ve run brass made by race shop for 20 years
They do wear despite annual maintenance

I had to switch them out a few times over the years
And there is wear on the rod

At some point we turned smaller ID and had to rework the rod also
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.