Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Engine numbers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rockit
Hi, new to this form, I have a few questions I hope can be answered and as my restoration goes forward I will interact more on this forum.

I recently picked up a 1970 signal orange, almost rust free 914-6 "ROLLER" it's in poor shape.

My question is on the engine number. I know the model and type of engine I need but did the 914-6 vin decode to a certain engine number to make that matching, as on my 993?

I've done some research and it seems there is no definite engine number to coincide with the vin. When I ran my 911 vin with Porsche it only showed the production date and options the car had, it never mentioned seral numbers on any other component but I know its listed somewhere other than what Porsche gives you.

I wanted to know before info before I start restoring the car if not having the correct matching engine number devalues the car by a lot or I may restore it a different way meaning a GT, and modify everything to make it a killer driver. My goal is to find an engine in the range of production. I have access the correct style trans used.

Also, I read dealers were given 400 GT kits to add at the dealership level, would that devalue the car if restored with GT body kits.....does the vin pull that much info?

Apricate any factual input and your time. Thanks.
sixaddict
To determine matching number you need to getCertificate of Authenticity for Porsche……it will show number. There is a thread on here somewhere showing engine numbers.
I have recently seen commentary about COAs not being available for som3 reason.Contact PCA as if available that is where to get it. About $100 and change
Good luck

S

QUOTE(Rockit @ Mar 5 2022, 05:39 PM) *

Hi, new to this form, I have a few questions I hope can be answered and as my restoration goes forward I will interact more on this forum.

I recently picked up a 1970 signal orange, almost rust free 914-6 "ROLLER" it's in poor shape.

My question is on the engine number. I know the model and type of engine I need but did the 914-6 vin decode to a certain engine number to make that matching, as on my 993?

I've done some research and it seems there is no definite engine number to coincide with the vin. When I ran my 911 vin with Porsche it only showed the production date and options the car had, it never mentioned seral numbers on any other component but I know its listed somewhere other than what Porsche gives you.

I wanted to know before info before I start restoring the car if not having the correct matching engine number devalues the car by a lot or I may restore it a different way meaning a GT, and modify everything to make it a killer driver. My goal is to find an engine in the range of production. I have access the correct style trans used.

Also, I read dealers were given 400 GT kits to add at the dealership level, would that devalue the car if restored with GT body kits.....does the vin pull that much info?

Apricate any factual input and your time. Thanks.
SirAndy
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Mar 5 2022, 06:42 PM) *

To determine matching number you need to get Certificate of Authenticity for Porsche……it will show number.

Unfortunately, that is no longer true. Porsche will only list the engine number on new COAs if you supply it.
dry.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 5 2022, 07:38 PM) *
Unfortunately, that is no longer true. Porsche will only list the engine number on new COAs if you supply it.
dry.gif

@Rockit

You can contact @davep here on the site. He knows people who know people and might be able to help you with your search.
popcorn[1].gif
Rockit
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 5 2022, 10:41 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 5 2022, 07:38 PM) *
dry.gif

@Rockit

You can contact @davep here on the site. He knows people who know people and might be able to help you with your search.
popcorn[1].gif

Thanks SrAndy beerchug.gif
PM Sent.
rgalla9146

Where are you ?
I'm in north Jersey and a long time 914 enthusiast (914 6 and a 3.0 GT too)
I agree that davep is a good source for info via VIN
PM me if you'd like to talk.
Rory
davep
Andy is correct. The CoA is gone, and the PPS will only include an engine # if you supply proof of the engine # and it matches. For the purpose of learning the # of a missing engine, then my Report is about the only route to go. The Report is also more informative than the CoA ever was.
sixaddict
Curious as to reason for change from Porsche……..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.