Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't figure out white wire
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jackspratt
I have fuel pumping but not getting to the rail on the drivers side. And looking at the hose coming from the passenger battery area side I see there is a connection junction half way point over to the drivers side rail. Is this the cold start valve? Because I have this white wire not connected and another plug with a boot on it not plugged in also. Any idea where the white wire connects to?

And the other question is. ...... if those 2 things are not connected. Would that prevent fuel from moving to the drivers side rail. And the injectors not firing? And if there is fuel on the passenger side rail and not the drivers side rail, would that all prevent ALL injectors not to fire?

Very much a novice here..... and thanks in advance for any info or a diagram of where that white wire plugs in to.

Right now I have it cranking, fuel pump pumping.... but not firing up. I have checked for spark at the plugs and have that.
76-914
The middle tap on the fuel rail is a place to check fuel pressure, IIRC. I think FP should be 39psi.EDIT: check to see that all 4 white ground wires for the injectors are connected to the block. There is a 4 terminal male spade junction that they connect to. If they're connected then remove one injector and place it in a jar. With ignition on it should squirt into the jar when you move the accelerator.
emerygt350
You need to back track here. That wire is near the oil filler? Where are your fuel lines going? Let's get the fuel figured out first... Have you tapped the fuel line for pressure yet? 29 pounds is what you need. If your are not getting fuel to the rails have you verified that the pump is sending fuel at all?
jackspratt
The white wire is coming from underneath where the passenger side fuel line meets in the middle when its going over to the drivers side. Both sides meet in the middle and there is a plug. But there is also this white wire that is unplugged.
JeffBowlsby
Verify which harness the white wire emanates from. If it’s on the ignition harness (to the coil) it has full time switched 12v and is attached to the red wire which is the aux air regulator. If it comes from the fuel injection harness, it attaches to the thermoswitch down on the engine tin which is the temp triggered ground for the cold start valve.
jackspratt
If it needs to connect to the thermoswitch down on the engine tin which is the temp triggered ground for the cold start valve. And isn't at the moment. Would this cause the fuel injection system to not fire?
JeffBowlsby
The thermoswitch controls the cold start valve only.
GregAmy
QUOTE(jackspratt @ Mar 6 2022, 05:36 PM) *

I have fuel pumping but not getting to the rail on the drivers side.
Right now I have it cranking, fuel pump pumping.... but not firing up.

Is fuel getting to the passenger side? If so, this is not an electrical issue.

The fuel system on these cars is dirt simple. Fuel pump pumps fuel to the line going to the passenger side, that fuel circulates through the passenger fuel rail then goes through a fuel line across the engine and passes through the driver's side fuel rail, then the fuel goes to the fuel pressure regulator which bleeds off excess pressure back to the fuel tank.

It's all mechanical. There's nothing electrical in that system except for the fuel pump.

If you're getting fuel to the passenger side but not the driver side, then it's possible you have a blockage in the supply line that goes from right to left.

Most cars will have a small t-port on the driver's side with a small screw, where you can attach a Harbor Freight fuel press gauge to check fuel pressure. You can jumper the fuel pump relay to use it to test for pressure anywhere you need to.

GA

See diagram here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=192867
emerygt350
Are you saying this is your 'fuel crossover'? Tucked under your dizzy and the oil filler? Is this the T?

I don't have anything like that on mine (just a hose running from rail to rail). Not saying it is wrong or anything, just not what I have. Is this CSV on a 1.7 djet? On a 2.0 it is a dead end on the driver side rail. This looks like a pass through kind of thing.

Click to view attachment
jrmdir
Pretty sure that is the cold start injector, not really a "T" as the leg of the T is the injector nozzle screwed into the plenum.

If one doesn't live or drive where the temp falls below 40 degrees F, sending fuel past this injector is not needed and it could well have been bypassed to eliminate any suspicion of a leaking CS injector.

Ron

EDIT: The above is true at least for the 1.7. Not sure if the CSV was moved in subsequent engines.
Click to view attachment
jackspratt
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 6 2022, 03:05 PM) *

The middle tap on the fuel rail is a place to check fuel pressure, IIRC. I think FP should be 39psi.EDIT: check to see that all 4 white ground wires for the injectors are connected to the block. There is a 4 terminal male spade junction that they connect to. If they're connected then remove one injector and place it in a jar. With ignition on it should squirt into the jar when you move the accelerator.

Thanks! Where is that 4 terminal male spade junction ? I can't seem to find it.
jackspratt
QUOTE(jrmdir @ Mar 7 2022, 07:29 AM) *

Pretty sure that is the cold start injector, not really a "T" as the leg of the T is the injector nozzle screwed into the plenum.

If one doesn't live or drive where the temp falls below 40 degrees F, sending fuel past this injector is not needed and it could well have been bypassed to eliminate any suspicion of a leaking CS injector.

Ron

EDIT: The above is true at least for the 1.7. Not sure if the CSV was moved in subsequent engines.
Click to view attachment

That's what I'm thinking, that it is the cold start injector. And it's all attached and not bypassed. Going to have to see why im not getting fuel pass that and over the other side, drivers side.
JeffBowlsby
The injector grounds (and other grounds bundled with them) are actually 6 wires, in three shared wire terminals, connecting to a three spade connection point at the top rear of the engine case. A solid electrical connection of these wires to their engein case ground point is essential for the injectors to fire and the ECU and TPS to be grounded. The ground under ther relay board and the transaxle ground strap also needs to be in place with good electrical connectivity to complete the fuel injection ground circuitry.
emerygt350
that white wire is nowhere near the injector loom as far I can tell. Doesn't that cross over at the back of the engine? Check if it has power going to it when the ignition is on. If not I suspect it is for the temp sensor or something along those lines. Is your oil pressure sender got something on it (right down from where the wire appears to be. The temp sensor is a little more towards the driver side i believe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.