Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB Early Car (1972) Headlight Bucket
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Robarabian
Hi,

I need the headlight assembly---pivot assembly for a 1972 left or driver side. I bought one on Ebay and it is for a 73 and up. I thought they were all the same, but alas, they are different.

If you have one, and are willing to part with it, please let me know. Shipping to 93063.
Literati914
Hey I think I have the single ‘72 and need the later model.. we could trade if that’s the case. Let me dig it out of storage, I’ll let you know soon.

Robarabian
That would be GROOVY!!!!

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Mar 6 2022, 05:18 PM) *

Hey I think I have the single ‘72 and need the later model.. we could trade if that’s the case. Let me dig it out of storage, I’ll let you know soon.

Literati914
Ah man.. false alarm! I could have sworn I had a mix matched set, but I just checked all three of my sets and they all match each other. Sorry, and good luck.
Check with Rich @914werke

bdstone914
QUOTE(Robarabian @ Mar 6 2022, 05:15 PM) *

Hi,

I need the headlight assembly---pivot assembly for a 1972 left or driver side. I bought one on Ebay and it is for a 73 and up. I thought they were all the same, but alas, they are different.

If you have one, and are willing to part with it, please let me know. Shipping to 93063.

@Robarabian
I think 72-74 are the same. They change when they added the impact bumpers.
The early ones used the brush type things around the lift arms. The 72-74 have the rubber boot for the lift arm and a disc to retain it.
I dont have a left side.
Robarabian
The car is a 72... the later ones have a different offset to them. Hard to explain, but the long hollow tube that has the pivot mounts with the plastic bushings, the early car has a different offset to them, based on how the body is designed. So a later car one will run the light into the fender.

I have an "on deck circle" car that is a 73 year model, but was early, built 8/72. that car's headlight bucket fit so I used it for the car I am working on. So now I need to replace the other car. My one from Ebay, which is 73-76 would not fit.

Thank you for looking.

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 6 2022, 07:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Robarabian @ Mar 6 2022, 05:15 PM) *

Hi,

@Robarabian
I think 72-74 are the same. They change when they added the impact bumpers.
The early ones used the brush type things around the lift arms. The 72-74 have the rubber boot for the lift arm and a disc to retain it.
I dont have a left side.
Robarabian
Thanks for looking!

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Mar 6 2022, 07:06 PM) *

Ah man.. false alarm! I could have sworn I had a mix matched set, but I just checked all three of my sets and they all match each other. Sorry, and good luck.
Check with Rich @914werke

GeorgeKopf
I think I have two sets of old headlight housings but I don't remember the condition.

I'll see if I can find them and send you some pictures.

George
Shivers
I did not know they changed them. I followed your link but could not figure this out. Can the complete head light system be moved from an early car to say a 74' tub? Is the mounting the same? Thanks @mepstein
mepstein
QUOTE(Shivers @ Mar 7 2022, 10:06 AM) *

I did not know they changed them. I followed your link but could not figure this out. Can the complete head light system be moved from an early car to say a 74' tub? Is the mounting the same? Thanks @mepstein

I think it fits the same but I’ve never tried to swap and I’m not 100% sure. I do see mismatched housings in cars (probably crash damage repair) so I imagine they can be switched.
Robarabian
My experience so far is no. Like I said in the original post, I am working on a 72, driver side. I found a set on Ebay, but they came with a tag that said 74. (even though the auction said they fit a 72).

I switched everything over (lights, trim ring) and put the assembly in the car on new 914 rubber plastic bushings. The early eyelid covers did not line up, and then I tried to just move everything around and I noticed the mount was running into the fender. When I went to my other car, a 1973 model, built 8/72 (so one one the 73 models with 72 parts from the factory) that bucket assembly worked great. I put the 74 side by side, and in line with the 72 and they are different. I should have taken a better photo, but the mounts are placed differently along the hollow shaft.

Luckily, 914 world saves me again, and I am awaiting shipment of a driver side assembly for a 72.

QUOTE(Shivers @ Mar 7 2022, 07:06 AM) *

GeorgeKopf
@Robarabian

Here are the pictures of my extra headlight housings.
The pair on the right are in better shape than the pair on the left.
Click to view attachment

One
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Two
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Three
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Four
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I also have three of the insert rings but they are pretty rough.

You can have as many as you want for the price of shipping. Let me know if you're interested

Thanks.

George
Robarabian
George,

Thank you for digging those out. I received a driver side one today that will suit my needs. But always good to know there is a set out there!!! And the price was absolutely right. I may take you up on a set when I pull the passenger side one apart in the next week or two. If I need em, I will PM you.

Thank you and 914 World. Couldn't keep these things running without this place!

QUOTE(GeorgeKopf @ Mar 9 2022, 04:25 PM) *

@Robarabian

Here are the pictures of my extra headlight housings.
The pair on the right are in better shape than the pair on the left.
Click to view attachment

One
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Two
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Three
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Four
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I also have three of the insert rings but they are pretty rough.

You can have as many as you want for the price of shipping. Let me know if you're interested

Thanks.

George

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.