Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Glass How To Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Robarabian
Hi all,

Bruce Stone was nice enough to soruce me a nicer than I had driver side window for my 72. The attached photo shows the piece in question I need help with. I need to remove the metal piece that is glued to the bottom of the glass, to transfer it to the glass Bruce got me. It is on there pretty good. I'm trying not to break the glass, as someone surely could use it or it could remain a spare, since they are rare.

I tried using a heat gun, but im afraid to go to hot and break the glass. Prying is futile. I have worked a razor blade as far in as I can. Also, is it glued in with window butyl in a tube type stuff?

Anyone have a secret?Click to view attachment
barnfind9141972
QUOTE(Robarabian @ Mar 6 2022, 06:00 PM) *

Hi all,

Bruce Stone was nice enough to soruce me a nicer than I had driver side window for my 72. The attached photo shows the piece in question I need help with. I need to remove the metal piece that is glued to the bottom of the glass, to transfer it to the glass Bruce got me. It is on there pretty good. I'm trying not to break the glass, as someone surely could use it or it could remain a spare, since they are rare.

I tried using a heat gun, but im afraid to go to hot and break the glass. Prying is futile. I have worked a razor blade as far in as I can. Also, is it glued in with window butyl in a tube type stuff?

@robarabian patience is key, just went through the same thing. Fishing wire worked for me, just work it little by little. Switch to a razor blade and cut any adhesive as you go. You can try soaking it in solvents need be and see if that eats away at any butyl or glue. Good luck beerchug.gif
Robarabian
I hope my kids don't miss the piano lessons.. Ill see what I have wire wise...thats a good tip. Thank you.

QUOTE(barnfind9141972 @ Mar 6 2022, 08:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Robarabian @ Mar 6 2022, 06:00 PM) *

Hi all,

@robarabian patience is key, just went through the same thing. Fishing wire worked for me, just work it little by little. Switch to a razor blade and cut any adhesive as you go. You can try soaking it in solvents need be and see if that eats away at any butyl or glue. Good luck beerchug.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.