Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: white-green wire mystery
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jackspratt
Here is a pic of 2 wires. One green and one white. They are coming off a harness near where the 2 fuel lines fan side are. Next to distributor. Can someone please explain where they plug in to? If they do at all. Also, can't get injectors to fire. and what does that plug with the boot on it that is plugged into the fuel line middle junction do?

Thanks Teeners!Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914Mels
What year? What engine?
914Mels
Took a look at our car, the white wire goes to the thermo time switch which controls the amount of time the cold start valve operates. It's mounted under the intake runners. The other wire is most likely the oil pressure switch wire. The cold start valve is the part you are referring to that has the fuel lines and the two wire connector.
jrmdir
Hello Jack:

We were all Newbies at one point and many, like me, went through the same initial confusion you're finding - trying to sort out a non-running engine that we knew nothing about. But it would be good if you could consolidate your questions. For example, some of us just today already explained in good detail in another thread: what does that plug with the boot on it that is plugged into the fuel line middle junction do?

Not trying to discourage asking questions - rather to help you get this car running as everyone here will want to do. Because we've all been there.

I, too, was hoping there was one obvious thing that would suddenly allow the engine to fire up. So I ignored a lot of good advice telling me to go through a methodical check out of all systems in logical order. But in the end I wasted a lot of time since, like I'm certain you will find, there are too many variables and no substitute for following a time-tested process.

I recommend getting prepared by obtaining:
A wiring diagram
Ohm Meter
Fuel pressure gauge
FP relay jumper - this will let you run the pump at any time (see photos)

This will help us better guide you on this journey.

Cheers,

Ron

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jrmdir
Just to be clear, the jumper is homemade from a piece of wire. Not part of the gauge kit smile.gif
jackspratt
QUOTE(914Mels @ Mar 7 2022, 12:29 PM) *

What year? What engine?

1973 and 1.7
jackspratt
Thanks, I'll take that advise. Makes total sense. It's a step by step process:) And thanks for the help
jackspratt
QUOTE(914Mels @ Mar 7 2022, 01:29 PM) *

Took a look at our car, the white wire goes to the thermo time switch which controls the amount of time the cold start valve operates. It's mounted under the intake runners. The other wire is most likely the oil pressure switch wire. The cold start valve is the part you are referring to that has the fuel lines and the two wire connector.

Thanks, great info. I'll investigate further...
jackspratt
QUOTE(jrmdir @ Mar 7 2022, 01:33 PM) *

Hello Jack:

We were all Newbies at one point and many, like me, went through the same initial confusion you're finding - trying to sort out a non-running engine that we knew nothing about. But it would be good if you could consolidate your questions. For example, some of us just today already explained in good detail in another thread: what does that plug with the boot on it that is plugged into the fuel line middle junction do?

Not trying to discourage asking questions - rather to help you get this car running as everyone here will want to do. Because we've all been there.

I, too, was hoping there was one obvious thing that would suddenly allow the engine to fire up. So I ignored a lot of good advice telling me to go through a methodical check out of all systems in logical order. But in the end I wasted a lot of time since, like I'm certain you will find, there are too many variables and no substitute for following a time-tested process.

I recommend getting prepared by obtaining:
A wiring diagram
Ohm Meter
Fuel pressure gauge
FP relay jumper - this will let you run the pump at any time (see photos)

This will help us better guide you on this journey.

Cheers,

Ron

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I'm going to take this advice. Going to get a FPressure tester. I see now where that goes. Thanks to your pic.
Question: Are you plugging that brown wire in and then pulling it out just to turn on the fuel pump on and off? As you are testing or does it just left in?
jrmdir
Great!

Only for testing. Otherwise you need to have the engine running to see what's happening with the pressure. And you need to pull it out when done or else the pump will keep running.

And it just looks brown in the photo. It's bare copper wire - but you can use any sort of wire that will fit snugly into the relay socket holes.

Ron

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.