Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield trim removal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bates
I need a new windshield, and plan to paint my 914, but not now.

Is it possible to remove the aluminum windshield trim without damaging the plastic clips that hold it in place.

I want to replace the windshield now, and when I do paint, remove the aluminum trim so paint can be applied up and under the trim.

Thanks.
double-a
yes it's possible, but saving both the trim and clips requires patience and care. last month i removed the trim and kept the clips in place, and luckily was able to do so without damaging either.

however since you're going for a new windshield, you can simply slide a blade into the gap and cut the existing clips. search this forum for instructions on how to do this. you will need a full set of OEM Porsche window trim clips installed before the new windshield goes back in. this is a really good time to clean the channel really well too.

take your time and good luck!
rhodyguy
Just plan on replacing the clips. A 1" putty knife run around the window side of the trim locates the clips. The knob on the clip that the trim pops on gets removed (cutoff with gentle persuasion) with the knife and spares reefing on the trim. I imagine someone has a picture of the general clip locations. The trim goes ON the clips MUCH easier than OFF. Usually some portion of the trim gets ruined trying to get it off the knob. That =s real $ and time.
930cabman
Last year I had my local old school auto glass corner shop replace a front windshield. Out the door for in the $350. range if I remember correctly and he saved the aluminum molding and the clips. My 914 is barely a driver, but he did a superior job. I have been a glazier for many years, but also know my limits and took it in to have it done correctly.
Bates
I planned on getting new plastic clips when installing the new windshield.

What I am concerned about is removing the trim before paint in the future.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Bates @ Mar 8 2022, 06:48 AM) *

Purchase extra clips. just cut off the mounting pin with a razor blade. After paint install the new clips and the trim. don't pry the clips out. The trim is too fragile and the clips are available.
Bates
Now that is a good idea!
Thanks.

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 8 2022, 08:58 AM) *

QUOTE(Bates @ Mar 8 2022, 06:48 AM) *

Purchase extra clips. just cut off the mounting pin with a razor blade. After paint install the new clips and the trim. don't pry the clips out. The trim is too fragile and the clips are available.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.