Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shipping cost
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
sixaddict
I am sure most have found recent shipping cost crazy.
I have heard Fastenal provides the service…Have requested a quote but wondering if anyone has had experience with them.
Thanks
sixaddict
Fastenal was a bust……expensive plus box /crate needs to be on a pallet.
Might be good for something heavy like a gear box but crazy compared with ups/ FedEx.
mepstein
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Mar 7 2022, 04:04 PM) *

Might be good for something heavy like a gear box but crazy compared with ups/ FedEx.

I tried fastenal. What a hassle. Took a day to be told they wouldn't ship to where I wanted. I just call my freightquote rep and in 5 minutes it's done and paid and another 10 minutes later they email me the BOL.
I use fedex for anything other than a pallet or something I can't lift. If you have a free account and use it often, the rates are very good. Ben uses UPS and that works for him.

My buddy was going to ship Fastenal. You have to drop off at a store and then pick up at a store on the receiving side. For almost the same price, I scheduled a freightquote pickup (carrier was fedex) and they picked up and delivered at the sending and receiving location. So why do half the work for the same amount of money?
sixaddict
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 7 2022, 01:26 PM) *

QUOTE(sixaddict @ Mar 7 2022, 04:04 PM) *

I tried fastenal. What a hassle. Took a day to be told they wouldn't ship to where I wanted. I just call my freightquote rep and in 5 minutes it's done and paid and another 10 minutes later they email me the BOL.
I use fedex for anything other than a pallet or something I can't lift. If you have a free account and use it often, the rates are very good. Ben uses UPS and that works for him.

My buddy was going to ship Fastenal. You have to drop off at a store and then pick up at a store on the receiving side. For almost the same price, I scheduled a freightquote pickup (carrier was fedex) and they picked up and delivered at the sending and receiving location. So why do half the work for the same amount of money?

agree.gif
budk
Also tried Fastenal - Quote was $5 higher than Fedex. No thanks.
MM1
Thanks for clearing that up.

An older thread suggested Fastenal - I never could get them to return my call.
PCA7GGR
For large item, FEdEx has doubled their rates as well as the time it takes.

“Progress intelligently planned.”
mepstein
QUOTE(PCA7GGR @ Mar 9 2022, 07:19 PM) *

“Progress intelligently plann

I haven’t seen that and I ship FedEx weekly. I just sent a 50lb, 27 gallon crate from Delaware to Wisconsin for $65. A set of 4 Fuchs from DE to CA for $108. I’m just not seeing a difference in price or shipping time. A crated 4 cylinder engine from PA to FL for $265 in 4 days. It’s a whole lot better than driving it there myself.
sixaddict
Mark
It may be that you have a commercial account and based on that you have special discounts.
Just saying my experience supports big increase.

quote name='mepstein' date='Mar 9 2022, 04:57 PM' post='2986909']
[quote name='PCA7GGR' post='2986892' date='Mar 9 2022, 07:19 PM']

“Progress intelligently plann
[/quote]
I haven’t seen that and I ship FedEx weekly. I just sent a 50lb, 27 gallon crate from Delaware to Wisconsin for $65. A set of 4 Fuchs from DE to CA for $108. I’m just not seeing a difference in price or shipping time. A crated 4 cylinder engine from PA to FL for $265 in 4 days. It’s a whole lot better than driving it there myself.
[/quote]
PCA7GGR
This want I am experiencing shipping my GT lid - 48'X18"X3" and 15lbs.
930cabman
Odd, I have used Fastenal (Blue Lane Freight) several times and would highly suggest them for engines, trannys, etc. Most recently I had an engine and some other misc parts strapped to a pallet and shipped from Western Indiana to Buffalo, NY for $100. Took about a week and no nonsense.

On the other hand I have used common carriers and would Not suggest them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.