Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumper Tops
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
56kabrio
I am in the process of redoing my chrome bumpers. I will be replacing both front and rear rubber tops. Just wondering who makes the best and most accurate replacements (AA, 914Rubber, etc.). Or perhaps there’s someone out there who would like to sell an NOS set. smile.gif

Thanks

Mack
tygaboy
I'm not sure what your end goal is but if you're OK with fiberglass, take a look at these:

http://carlrudolph.com/

I bought a set after seeing them on @buddyV Robert's car. I have a fair bit of experience with fiberglass and I couldn't believe how well these are made, how accurately they fit, etc. They weigh nothing, too.

Did I mention how well they fit? Really well. I mean REALLLLLLLY well. No, seriously. Like so well.

They come in a textured black finish that looks like the factory texture. You can bolt on and go or paint.
56kabrio
Thanks for the suggestion, but I’m looking to perform a high level stock restoration. It’s a ‘73 2.0 in Marathon Blue.

Mack
GBX0073
tygaboy

Thanks for posting I did not know these existed
dont need any right now but if i did it's a great option
Hope they expand offerings to the rear valance
BuddyV
Regarding the fiberglass option..... buy them before the maker stops breathing.

Like @tygaboy said..... they are nice.

But they are also a rather PAIN to purchase. The guy runs his shop like pre-internet.

One day they will be gone for good...... don't say I didn't warn you.

beerchug.gif
vitamin914
QUOTE(BuddyV @ Mar 8 2022, 12:36 AM) *

But they are also a rather PAIN to purchase. The guy runs his shop like pre-internet.

beerchug.gif

Hopefully not too late...
Went to order a front pad to replace my lumpy original. PayPal order would not go as it was "Sold Out".
I sent an email asking if there are any scheduled plans for more.
tygaboy
QUOTE(vitamin914 @ Mar 8 2022, 07:31 AM) *

QUOTE(BuddyV @ Mar 8 2022, 12:36 AM) *

beerchug.gif

Hopefully not too late...
Went to order a front pad to replace my lumpy original. PayPal order would not go as it was "Sold Out".
I sent an email asking if there are any scheduled plans for more.

@vitamin914 - this is what Robert meant. When I went to order mine, I sent an email asking how best to buy them. He was super nice and let me know when they'd be available. I checked back once, IIRC and got an update. It's just a bit different experience than we've all become accustomed to.
And I'll say it again: These are worth whatever you have to go through to get them.
Freezin 914
Any pictures of them on the car, website only shows ones painted body color?
vitamin914
QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Mar 8 2022, 12:08 PM) *

Any pictures of them on the car, website only shows ones painted body color?

Not on a car, but in black from their website... Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
56kabrio
It’s great that you guys have found a source for excellent fiberglass bumper tops. My original question, however, was about the best replacement RUBBER bumper tops. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding that? Or is there anyone who has an NOS set that they would be willing to part with? aktion035.gif

Thanks again

Mack
Freezin 914
QUOTE(56kabrio @ Mar 8 2022, 07:35 PM) *

It’s great that you guys have found a source for excellent fiberglass bumper tops. My original question, however, was about the best replacement RUBBER bumper tops. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding that? Or is there anyone who has an NOS set that they would be willing to part with? aktion035.gif

Thanks again

Mack

Sorry Mack, we all get a little off track once in a while.
I think either sources you mentioned AA, 914rubber would work well. Best guess is the same manufacturer for both companies. But I can’t say that for sure. Hope you find what you are looking for.
Rob-O
I thought they were decidedly different manufacturers. AA and 914Rubber that is.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Mar 8 2022, 06:11 PM) *

Thanks again

Mack

I think either sources you mentioned AA, 914rubber would work well. Best guess is the same manufacturer for both companies. But I can’t say that for sure. Hope you find what you are looking for.

I can definitely say they are not the same manufacturers. We make ours here in the US from a self skinning expanding foam rubber just like OEM. George makes his offshore and the they feel like a hard plastic rather than a rubber.
wes
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 9 2022, 08:28 AM) *

QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Mar 8 2022, 06:11 PM) *

Thanks again

Mack

I can definitely say they are not the same manufacturers. We make ours here in the US from a self skinning expanding foam rubber just like OEM. George makes his offshore and the they feel like a hard plastic rather than a rubber.

I’m very happy with the 914rubber one!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.