Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel tank bay holes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RandyE
Here is a picture of the pan below my fuel tank after I removed it. The clear lines are just from my rig to clean out the fuel lines. Does anyone know if those three holes are to remain open or are there seals that go there? One large hole and two smaller holes above. Thanks in advance!

Randy
Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Small hole was for brake fluid over flow line on 70-71 cars, not used on later years. Others are drain/vent holes.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 8 2022, 09:57 AM) *

Small hole was for brake fluid over flow line on 70-71 cars, not used on later years. Others are drain/vent holes.

Yes sir Mark two small holes for brake fluid line is at the driver side and those holes on the picture I think one for water drain from the fresh air box and the other hole for the fuel filler neck drain. Big hole is an access hole from the bottom.
BillC
By the way, the picture looks like you still have the original fuel lines -- the first foot (ish) of each is steel and the rest is vinyl tubing. If that's the case, you should really consider replacing all the fuel lines with new steel or stainless steel tubing. The vinyl gets old and brittle over time, and too many 914s have been lost to fuel fires from broken lines.

There are several vendors on this site that sell nice stainless lines.
RandyE
QUOTE(BillC @ Mar 8 2022, 02:30 PM) *

By the way, the picture looks like you still have the original fuel lines -- the first foot (ish) of each is steel and the rest is vinyl tubing. If that's the case, you should really consider replacing all the fuel lines with new steel or stainless steel tubing. The vinyl gets old and brittle over time, and too many 914s have been lost to fuel fires from broken lines.

There are several vendors on this site that sell nice stainless lines.

Thank you for letting me know about that, Bill! This is my first 914 and air cooled vehicle. It has sat for many years so i am trying to get it running on a budget to make sure it is worth it first before dropping too much money!
RandyE

Thank you for the info. Sorry, i should have mentioned mine is a 72 (Jan 72 on door sticker). So it is customary to leave those holes as is (not plugged) i am assuming?

Thanks again!
RandyE
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Mar 8 2022, 10:42 AM) *

Yes sir Mark two small holes for brake fluid line is at the driver side and those holes on the picture I think one for water drain from the fresh air box and the other hole for the fuel filler neck drain. Big hole is an access hole from the bottom.

Thank you for your feedback! I appreciate it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.