Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shopping List Please.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeP
I'm going to be doing some fg body work on my car. I have no tools/ materials. I think I know the basics of what to buy but I'd appreciate it if those of you with some fg experience chime in with a shopping list of the things I might forget. confused24.gif Don't worry Mark you're still on tap to finish it up.

Grinder (which one?) (what size?) (what disks?)

Is it worth tracking down a specific epoxy resin or will the TAP stuff work?

Which FG cloth? Or just gorrila hair?

Thanks guys.
neo914-6
Mike,

I have a sawsall and scroll saw you can borrow. New blades are the key to clean cuts. I shopped online and found a bunch of epoxies but no experience with them. There's are f/g to metal specific types and they should be a paste to stay on the surfaces. I used a marine epoxy many years ago and some of it dripped out. I also left the rivets in but you may not be able to cover them well.

Bill (nine14cats) just did some metal cutting and outlined his work.

Also Root Werks had a nice thread on this but it somehow got deleted. He may still have his methods recorded...
MikeP
Thanks Felix. I was checking the epoxy etc online and got a bit overwhelmed with all of the possible choices.
McMark
Word on the street is that Expoy Resin is MUCH stronger and mat instead of chopped fiber is stronger as well. I think there is a random woven mat that's even stronger still.
lapuwali
Epoxy is stronger, but harder to deal with. Polyester resins are much easier to use, and for non-structural work, are generally adequate. Woven mat will give you a much ligther, less bulky final part than chopped mat. However, it's generally easier to produce a part with the chopped stuff that doesn't have the fabic "look" to it, as the woven pattern tends to bleed through many coats of resin.

One thing you need when doing FG work at home is an understanding spouse. This stuff is very smelly and messy, and even working outside makes it hard to keep the smell out of the house. Working in the garage pretty much guarantees a smelly house for a few days.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.