Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wouldn't you like to have this 914 in your garage?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
LOL

Click to view attachment
JamesM
You know, every time I am out autocrossing I always think to myself...

"Man, I wish my car had an extra two feet just hanging out in front of the wheels!"

screwy.gif
emerygt350
Any idea what it is trying to be?
BillJ
904 would be my guess....
mepstein
Google “Porsche 9014
lesorubcheek
904s have always been one of my top 5 sexiest, coolest, neatest cars, period. Ever since I knew what a 914 was all about, there's a special place in my heart for them as well. This kit/mod/whatever car..... well.... no thank you, much prefer it just be a 914.

Dan
AZBanks
I have seen a lot worse 914s than that one.
rgalla9146
Transalation...... " I'd really like this 914 out of MY garage" smile.gif
wonkipop
no

av-943.gif

that was a mistake dr914. an aesthetic disaster?
glad you can laugh about it now.

i hope you did not contribute to the f$ck up of too many good 914s with that offering?

i'm glad the super functional weirdo german styling of the original factory offering is finally getting appreciated against a contemporary back drop of steroid pumped-up mobile orthopedic shoes - without the aid of nostalgic adaptions.

cassmcentee
Click to view attachment
mate914
Wow. Where is that administrator, threating to hand out time outs like party favors?
I thought we could only say positive, not truthful statements! I think they make up rules as they go....

"You guys are being dicks. Seriously, knock it off.

Keep it up and there will be Time Outs passed around like party favors. headbang.gif

ALL 914s with ALL drivetrains are welcome here. If you have a problem with it, just don't post. Post in the threads with drivetrains that you approve of." admin

Dr. 914 the car looks great.

Matt flag.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(mate914 @ Mar 10 2022, 04:29 AM) *
Wow. Where is that administrator, threating to hand out time outs like party favors?
I thought we could only say positive, not truthful statements! I think they make up rules as they go....

confused24.gif
Root_Werks
Not for me, proportions don't look right next to an actual 904.

Why hack up a 914 when you can buy a Beck 904?

Granted, this 914 was probably done 20 years ago.
johnhora
pretty cool looking

Click to view attachment
Bullethead
I kinda like it... is it for sale? BTW, here's an old thread from the wayback machine:
popcorn[1].gif http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...872&hl=9014
IronHillRestorations
904 is one of my favorite cars. When this first came out I thought it was cool, but after looking closer, not so much. It captures some of the lines of a 904, but the proportions are all off. The first version had a unique treatment of the deck lid that looked like it was designed to slow you down. I'd like to see one in person. At the end of the day, it's your car so do what makes you happy.
wonkipop
QUOTE(mate914 @ Mar 10 2022, 06:29 AM) *

"You guys are being dicks. Seriously, knock it off.

Keep it up and there will be Time Outs passed around like party favors. headbang.gif

ALL 914s with ALL drivetrains are welcome here. If you have a problem with it, just don't post. Post in the threads with drivetrains that you approve of." admin

Dr. 914 the car looks great.

Matt flag.gif

you are right.
i take back what i said.
was a bit caustic.
my excuse was i fell back in time 30 years when i used to look at 914 update kits with puzzlement.
i was a fan of the original styling during a period when a lot of porsche snobs canned it.

but ...... the chalon, this 9104 kit and others are interesting in and of themselves.
beerchug.gif

windforfun
No no no. Never in a million years.
emerygt350
I mean, it is interesting. It really makes me think of those 'what if' scenarios of how the car would have changed over time if they kept building it.
Jamie
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Mar 10 2022, 05:34 PM) *

I mean, it is interesting. It really makes me think of those 'what if' scenarios of how the car would have changed over time if they kept building it.

If they had kept building 914's they would look like a Boxster! beerchug.gif
VegasRacer
I bet those cracked headlight covers are going to be expensive to replace. shades.gif
ClayPerrine
Sorry George, but this 914 conversion has better proportions than yours....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

To me it is somewhere between a Dino and a 904. After the first time I got hit by a 3/4 ton Ford Pickup, I considered buying this kit. I almost wish I had, because I still like it.

Clay
Mark Henry
That's the Eagle Dino GT kit, a member here owned the molds but sold them (something like 10 years ago), I don't know what happen to them after that.
I sold a FG 356 coupe to Beck that he was going to use as a plug, I don't know if he ever completed the project.

I also know where the Laser 917 molds are, last time I talked to the chap he wanted $20K (Canadian, ballpark $16k USD) for them. Likely would take less for a serious offer.
jagalyn
Swing and a miss...

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Jamie @ Mar 10 2022, 07:21 PM) *

agree.gif

Had the 914 continued, the Boxster most likely would be the evolution of the 914. Maybe with a targa bar or not?

Someone with more skills than me should photoshop a Boxster or Cayman as a Targa.
Root_Werks
Holy crap, quick google shows plenty of both Boxster and Cayman targa conversion kits.

Sheese!

wonkipop
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 11 2022, 05:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Jamie @ Mar 10 2022, 07:21 PM) *

agree.gif

Had the 914 continued, the Boxster most likely would be the evolution of the 914. Maybe with a targa bar or not?

Someone with more skills than me should photoshop a Boxster or Cayman as a Targa.

posche kind of/sort of did have a go at a car between the 914 and the boxster?

design started out mid engined.
ended up rear engined and four wheel drive.
kind of match for the 964 (which came out 4 wheel drive only at beginning).
probably meant they were thinking about reducing their range for the late 80s/early 90s to being all rear engined, four wheel drive? (dropping the front engined cars?)

prototype had worked over VW air cooled boxer. 914 engine more or less?
think production car was going to get a water cooled boxer 4.

gives some insight into question of evolution of targa bar.
whole roof folded into rear boot.
roll over protection via windscreen and high sides. boxster?

--

also was something between the 914 and 984 - unfortunately part of aborted VW beetle replacement program - disappeared in the chaos of piech getting run out of the company in 72. be sure to be detailed drawings of it somewhere in the factory archives.
hidden away with everything else connected with that disaster?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

-----

i like the eagle dino kit.above.
it looks right.
but not as right as a 914.
Shivers
My annual summer vacation in San Diego, 1970 my Uncle picked me up in his new 1970 914. I thought it was the coolest car I had ever seen. And then he turned on the head lamps and they popped up. My 12 year old head about blew up. Took me 12 years to get my own. It's just not for me, George.
rgalla9146

People get all gooey about 904s....to me the design is a bit uncoordinated.....to say
nothing of the kits added to 914 chassis.
The 906 is far more attractive.
wonkipop
........not like the 914 came out of nowhere? there is stuff before.

maybe even wheel arch profiles?

Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 11 2022, 01:20 PM) *

That's the Eagle Dino GT kit, a member here owned the molds but sold them (something like 10 years ago), I don't know what happen to them after that.
I sold a FG 356 coupe to Beck that he was going to use as a plug, I don't know if he ever completed the project.

Mark,

That is actually the Diablo 914. I scanned the pictures in from a VW-Porsche magazine that I got in the 90s. If you want, I can scan the whole article and get you the dates of the magazine.

Maybe the original owner sold the molds to the guy you are talking about?

Clay

Superhawk996
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 11 2022, 01:47 PM) *

I hate to admit it but I sort of like this variant. idea.gif

The one thing all the 904 type kits had in common is that they extend the front overhand. I don't like that.

Even the Ferrari Testarossa which I was in love with in the 80's now looks all wonky to me. In large part due to the ungainly front overhang on that thing. i don't think long front overhangs aged well.

Click to view attachment screwy.gif

In my opinion, the 914 was way ahead of it's time. Wheels were pushed out to the corners, low, and pretty wide stance for a 70's era car.

Later on, BMW made somewhat of a push in their ad copy to cheer on longer wheel bases, wide stance, and short overhangs as the recipe for the "ultimate handling machine". They weren't far off if they had left out the long wheelbase part. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.