Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sharing my new metal fab small business!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jaredmcginness
Hey fellas,

With permission from the almighty Andy, I wanted to share the website I made up for my recently started small business.

Some of you guys are familiar with the repairs made on my green '71 here...
I started working on that car 3 years ago this week! Both my love for eliminating rust and my tool collection have grown since then.

I’ve been extremely active and want to keep pushing this, grow my skills, make parts, use this as a design outlet, etc.

I love being around these cars.

My shop is called Ducktail Classics.

IPB Image

The goal is to have 1 or 2 larger projects at a time, while accepting smaller rust jobs.
Maybe in the future, move towards doing it full time.
I've been very fortunate to be busy, and work appears to be lined up through the summer.

My fiance and I made the website www.ducktailclassics.com
There you can find info, gallery and a webstore.

I’ve spent some time recently designing some merchandise, parts etc.

The slogan backyard Porsche Repair is both accurate and an ode to a lot of us guys. Making it happen with what we have. beerchug.gif

Oh!

P.S. Today I am proud to say I was approved as an Authorized Dealer for MOMO Heritage products + Prototipo Wheels
(Including the new 370mm!) My favorite wheel brand with rich history in Porsche Racing.

That's exciting and unexpected - makes me feel a little more legit.

IPB Image

Would love feedback on the site, or advice from anyone in this field. shades.gif

P.P.S. For a state who's slogan is "Open for Business!" it's not very easy to open a business!
AZBanks
Congratulations!!!!

I checked out the website and I found three small things.

#1 On your main page, I would have the options at the top in this order " Shop Gallery About Location"
I get that you are going for a relaxed vibe and I think that is cool but it is a website for a business. A business is something you do to make money which means people have to buy your product or service. Put that out there first in the list. Don't be shy about it.

#2 Once you go into the Shop/store, there is no link to take you back to the main page.

#3 The picture you have for Shop/Service/Rust repair looks a little sloppy. One ramp, One jack stand in use, one just sitting there, the wooden board, the random cans. To me it says, sloppy/amateur/somewhat careless which I know from reading your threads is NOT the case. I suggest finding a better picture to really represent the quality of your work.

Other than those three things, I think it is a really good web page, clear, good images, gives a good feel for who you are as a business and what you want to contribute to the car industry/culture.
jaredmcginness
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Mar 10 2022, 07:45 PM) *

#1 On your main page, I would have the options at the top in this order " Shop Gallery About Location.

#2 Once you go into the Shop/store, there is no link to take you back to the main page.

#3 The picture you have for Shop/Service/Rust repair looks a little sloppy.

Other than those three things, I think it is a really good web page, clear, good images, gives a good feel for who you are as a business and what you want to contribute to the car industry/culture.

Great advice!!

#1. Thank you. You read me well, you’re right about the look I’m going for. But it is business. I’ll swap those.
Edit* Done.

#2. I didn’t realize this and maybe wouldn’t have thought about that. Thanks!
Edit* added main web address in contact area. I will try to make the logo in the clickable.

#3. Yes! I actually hate that image. Old shop, one wheel. But it’s one of the few I had of the completed floor in the “raw”. I’ll get my 914 on a lift and get a clear new image.
Edit* I just realized you were referencing the photo on the store, not gallery. What a truly horrible photo that was.
Early on I was just putting stuff down as place holder photos and never looked back. Yikes. Thanks!

Thanks for checking everything out, that’s why I posted this. smile.gif
AZBanks
Don't thank me until you get the bill for my consulting fee happy11.gif

Seriously, I love to see people start and succeed in their own business especially 914 related businesses.
ndfrigi
Congratulations Jared!
tygaboy
Jared - Way to go! Chase that dream and make it come true. The webs site looks good - and I agree w/ @AZBanks about making it look as professional AND honest as we know you are.
And my $0.02 on shop rate. Don't under price your skills. I don't know what you're planning but you mention a building backlog of work. Once of my favorite sayings is:

"If they're standing in line, you're not charging enough."

I don't mean go crazy, I mean that people who want high quality work will happily pay for high quality work. You offer that. Charge accordingly.

I'll wish you best of luck with your new endeavor but suspect you'll be making all the luck you'll need! Now get out there and kick some ass, my friend! aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif
r_towle
Looking fir a project?
Are you also doing paint after all the metalwork?

Rich
76-914
Jared, you're welcome to post the link on my site with a description but no T Shirt pics. In all fairness you know that I've already kicked a few people off for that. beerchug.gif
TonyA
Congrats follow that passion and don't give up. I have been in business for 35 years and still going. Made it through 2008 and the plague
jaredmcginness
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 10 2022, 08:30 PM) *

Jared - Way to go! Chase that dream and make it come true. The webs site looks good - and I agree w/ @AZBanks about making it look as professional AND honest as we know you are.
And my $0.02 on shop rate. Don't under price your skills. I don't know what you're planning but you mention a building backlog of work. Once of my favorite sayings is:

I don't mean go crazy, I mean that people who want high quality work will happily pay for high quality work. You offer that. Charge accordingly.

I'll wish you best of luck with your new endeavor but suspect you'll be making all the luck you'll need! Now get out there and kick some ass, my friend! aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif

I wont tell @mepstein that quote, or he'll be picking up his things tomorrow!

But good info, and I have battled back and forth with that.
I see guys on pelican that do beautiful work and say stuff like "I am always $50/hr for Pelican members, all day". Then you have "real" shops backed up for months @ $170/hr+.

Quite a variance.

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 10 2022, 08:40 PM) *

Looking fir a project?

Rich

You can have as many projects as you already have +1.

As of now, I am not doing paint. Another hurtle to tackle. I should probably should look for a guy locally, familiar with these cars that I can recommend to take the reigns on that step.
mepstein
No, I’m getting a good deal and I know it. beerchug.gif
bkrantz
Congrats and best of luck!
nditiz1
This is awesome Jared and close to my house. Can't wait.
Craigers17
Congrats! Nothing like being your own boss! Based on your metal work in the gallery pics, I think you're gonna stay as busy as you want to.
Dion
Congratulations & the best of luck to you.
ChrisFoley
I just took a call from someone a few days ago in the Philly area who was looking for a shop to get his car back in good working order, but manufacturing keeps me busy so I'm not accepting service work.
Good to know there's a fresh option.
jaredmcginness
Heck yeah Nick!

Thank you much guys, I owe its to your guys expertise and motivation early on.
Being my own boss is part of the dream (whos isn't?)

QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Mar 11 2022, 07:36 AM) *

I just took a call from someone a few days ago in the Philly area who was looking for a shop to get his car back in good working order, but manufacturing keeps me busy so I'm not accepting service work.
Good to know there's a fresh option.

For now, I am going to stick to metal work, maybe small mechanical service... you know they always say you can pick one or the other to be good at. lol-2.gif

I have one of my cars at Translog in York right now, for mechanical dial in. HIGHLY recommend them. Really honest guys.

Any other fellas in this field with advice, feel free to comment or message me.
Puebloswatcop
Congratulations Jared. Good luck with your new business. Can't wait to watch it grow. beerchug.gif
crash914
Good on you,
not easy to start a business in Maryland! Way too many rules and regs.
If I hear of anyone who needs work done, I will send them your way.
Mark Henry
Keep track of your hours, so you don't get short changed on billing and it will eventually help you when quoting jobs.
You will want fewer jobs at honest rates, rather than lots of jobs for pennies.
StarBear
Best wishes! Great to have a metal shop to keep/get our precious ones on the road. Such shops willing to work on 914s are few and far between around here.
mepstein
I’m 100% pleased with the work that Jared is doing on my 912. He has all the needed skills and is a very easy guy to work with.

I’m almost sorry he made this announcement since now he’ll probably have a 4 year waiting list for my next project. beerchug.gif
mate914
Very nice metal work. Good luck.

Matt flag.gif
BeatNavy
Good for you for giving it a go, Jared. Best of luck in the endeavor!
ValcoOscar
beerchug.gif piratenanner.gif drunk.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

Jared-

My 2 cents…

I applaud you for taking the plunge into your new venture.
You will not regret your decision. Keep in mind, every obstacle will present an opportunity.
Appreciative customers are golden. Your metal skills and passion are needed in our community.

I have a tiny guest house for you should you ever visit SoCal. Great place to honeymoon…wink, wink rolleyes.gif

BTW, just ordered a tee shirt...thx

Oscar
930cabman
Starting a new small business, especially rustouts, got to give this guy a big time cheer.gif cheer.gif

#1, your website looks great

#2, don't sell yourself short when quoting work

#3, best of luck, it appears you have the passion and experience

cheer.gif cheer.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(jaredmcginness @ Mar 10 2022, 06:57 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 10 2022, 08:30 PM) *

I wont tell @mepstein that quote, or he'll be picking up his things tomorrow!

But good info, and I have battled back and forth with that.
I see guys on pelican that do beautiful work and say stuff like "I am always $50/hr for Pelican members, all day". Then you have "real" shops backed up for months @ $170/hr+.

Quite a variance.

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 10 2022, 08:40 PM) *

Looking fir a project?

Rich

You can have as many projects as you already have +1.

As of now, I am not doing paint. Another hurtle to tackle. I should probably should look for a guy locally, familiar with these cars that I can recommend to take the reigns on that step.

You've already got Mark as a customer...that speaks for itself! Hmmm...maybe next trip out I'll fly into BWI and see what you've got shakin!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.