914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
original thread here

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....threadid=233916

article here

http://www.stargazettenews.com/apps/pbcs.d...EWS01/508010308

be safe, guys.
machina
The driver had just been signed off to solo by his instructor. Was reported to be a conservative driver in a boxster.

Put 2 wheels off course and lost control, into a guardrail at 80mph, that's all they have for now.

His daughter was at the track with him.

Really horrible, our thoughts are with his family.
ArtechnikA
as i posted in another thread, it's a loss and a shame.

i donno if it's part of the NE culture, or just the language, which i am still attempting to learn. there's this from the local (NY) news report:
Wiholm was killed shortly before 4:30 p.m. Saturday when he lost control of his vehicle and crashed into guide rails as he headed into "The Boot" at Turn 6.

folks, if you're counting on the Armco to be a "guide" rail, you have an unpleasant surprise waiting for you.
lapuwali
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Aug 1 2005, 02:36 PM)
as i posted in another thread, it's a loss and a shame.

i donno if it's part of the NE culture, or just the language, which i am still attempting to learn. there's this from the local (NY) news report:
Wiholm was killed shortly before 4:30 p.m. Saturday when he lost control of his vehicle and crashed into guide rails as he headed into "The Boot" at Turn 6.

folks, if you're counting on the Armco to be a "guide" rail, you have an unpleasant surprise waiting for you.

I think this is just a terminology problem, common with near homonyms. People hear "guide" in place of "guard", and substitute without thinking. I suppose some people suppose it does "guide" you, as well. It guides you from hitting whatever's beyond it.

This is rather like "mute point" when "moot point" is meant. This mistake is usually made by people who've never actually heard of of the word "moot", or think it's a typo, but have heard the term "moot point" or "that point is moot" quite frequently.

On the other hand, perhaps it's a NY thing:

Cornell PDF

TimT
My thoughts go out to the family..

turn 6 can bite you in the ass.. after exiting the bus stop you line up turn in and get on the gas and look for the start of the concrete that the Nascar guys use. then aim for the flag station at the bottom. and press your foot flat on the go pedal..

its a fast kind of blind left. early apexing is bad..

Regarding guide vs guard.... when I started my career years ago a report was returned to me for correction. I used "guard rail" to describe what we call armco

I was told by reps of NYS that the term should be "guide rail" this was of course for legal reasons..and that I should refer to those armco structures on the side of our roads as "guide rail"

However this was in regard to terms used on reports regarding public highways, not private properties..

What some of choose is a dangerous hobby..again thoughts to the family
davep
Regarding guide vs guard, my father who was a highway supervisor said that someone sued over the 'guard rail' not guarding him from going through it in an accident. After that the 'guide rail' came into legal use to describe the armco. This was probably in the sixties I heard him tell me; and in Canada so it is probably universal in use.

I've driven the Glen several times. I've seen many an accident there, but none so serious. I feel really sorry for everyone involved. Even the instructor will be depressed for signing him off. It will have screwed up everyone that was there I'm sure. So sad.
sad.gif
Mueller
sad to hear about this.......do they do any "real" instructing for off track excursions?? dipping 2 wheels off of the track is a common error that sometimes end up causing accidents like this, most people "jerk" the wheel...too bad it cannot be taught what not to do sometimes
nebreitling
QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 1 2005, 05:24 PM)
sad to hear about this.......do they do any "real" instructing for off track excursions?? dipping 2 wheels off of the track is a common error that sometimes end up causing accidents like this, most people "jerk" the wheel...too bad it cannot be taught what not to do sometimes

don't know, but at the PCA groundschool grant and i attended last week, they went over this quite a bit, and emphasized it with re. to the last turn at thunderhill, which i will be running this saturday.
nebreitling
http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/2069695.phtml
grantsfo
I have read in more than a few accounts from people who were there that he was going between 70 to 100 mph no brakes into the wall which would possibly suggest a medical issue or possible panic situation.

I'll also echo Nathans comments around prep from both GGR PCA as well as POC in California. I felt POC driver ed was better than the professional instruction I recieved from The Russell school. They drilled into new drivers all the basics and rode with us until they felt we were safe. They also put us on skid pad before we were on the track to assure we understood how the car would feel at limit and during a spin.
drew365
I'm the proud owner of a new HANS device. I haven't been on the track with it yet and I know it won't make me infalable but I feel better knowing I'm doing all I can do to prevent serious injury.
Porsche Rescue
Ok, what is a HANS device? Picture? Do they really cost $1000+?
drew365
I don't have a pic, but it's a carbon fiber neck and shoulder restraint that attatches to the helmet and is held in place by your seatbelts. It prevents the head from traveling so far forward in a front impact crash that you break the base of your skull. Mine cost about $850 with installation.
smg914
QUOTE (drew365 @ Aug 1 2005, 07:12 PM)
I'm the proud owner of a new HANS device. I haven't been on the track with it yet and I know it won't make me infalable but I feel better knowing I'm doing all I can do to prevent serious injury.

Smart man you are Drew. I for one feel some sort of neck brace should be mandatory even for DE. The nonex covered foam neck ring at a minimum or the HANS device, etc.
pastordavid
I have talked here before about my car accident 3 years ago. I was driving a 91 Cady Seville, and suffered a basilar skull fracture, among others, from that very type of impact. Too bad HANS aren't in passenger cars! I am one of the blessed/lucky ones. The doctors all say that I should not be alive to write this, and since I am alive, should not be functioning (mentally) at a level to be able to type this. As a matter of fact, my primary care surgeons Dr. Jerry House and Dr. Terry Trammel, have asked if they could track my recovery and include it in some of their writings.

My heart goes out to the family, and to all who were involved in the incident.

pastor david
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.