Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sandblasting rear brake calipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 RZ-1
I am rebuilding my rear brakes. I've taken everything apart, cleaned them with Simple Green and am currently soaking the parts in Evaporust. However, I might need to sandblast them.

1. Anything I should know before I proceed?
2. What to plug/tape up? I'm assuming all holes and machined surfaces?
3. What about the area in the caliper where the piston goes?
4. What blasting media should I use? I have some dull aluminum oxide I've used several times.

I've looked on the 'Net and found a few tidbits, but nothing specific to 914 brake calipers, so I thought I'd post here and see if anyone had any experience, tips and advice.

Thanks!
Shivers
Some info here

https://www.pmbperformance.com/brakehowto.html
914Sixer
Use glass beads not sand.
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 12 2022, 05:17 AM) *

Use glass beads not sand.

Thanks! Will do!

QUOTE(Shivers @ Mar 11 2022, 08:30 PM) *

Thanks! This was helpful, but there was only a brief mention of sandblasting. I have the PMB video bookmarked as well, so between this and that I should have what I need to rebuild these, but I'd still like to know what I need to do to properly sandblast these.
914 RZ-1
Here's a photo of the cleaned parts. I've labelled the areas I think I need to cover with tape:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

A are mating surfaces, so it seems those need to be kept smooth and flat.
B may not be critical, but they are mating surfaces so...Any thoughts and comments?
I'm mostly concerned about the piston bore area (area C). According to the PMB document linked above, this area will be plated, so it needs to be cleaned.
914Sixer
I always cleaned the complete. I used duct tape to cover what I did not want to blast.
mepstein
Are you getting them replated? Getting the piston bores replated is really the important part to longevity.
Shivers
Don't forget to plug the bleeder ports.
Sycolyst
I glass beaded mine covering all the internal openings. I then wiped them with lacquer thinner and blew them out with compressed air. I took 1500 grit sandpaper to de-glaze the piston bores. I painted mine with caliper paint and installed all new rubber and rebuilt them. They came out great. Take your time, it's not a hard project.
PatMc
QUOTE(Sycolyst @ Mar 12 2022, 08:42 PM) *

I glass beaded mine covering all the internal openings. I then wiped them with lacquer thinner and blew them out with compressed air. I took 1500 grit sandpaper to de-glaze the piston bores. I painted mine with caliper paint and installed all new rubber and rebuilt them. They came out great. Take your time, it's not a hard project.

Depends...are you going to have the castings replated or leave them bare or paint them?

If replating, don't mask anything, blast everything. Assuming this is a relatively small home based blasting setup and not some 300 PSI deal where you can blow holes through things, nothing will be damaged or hurt at all. Aluminum oxide or glass bead or whatever media you choose will work fine. All calipers at the commercial level rebuilders are blasted with steel shot, and nothing is masked....and if they don't leave them in the blaster for 3 times as long as they should, there is zero damage to the casting or any machined surfaces.

If you're not going to be replating the castings, then I'd mask off anywhere that plating still exists...like on the mating surfaces between the halves. I'd also follow up with a wire brush on a drill or grinder to polish the bore and seal groove as best you can after blasting, then coat the bore/seal groove with a good caliper assembly lube (containing rust inhibitor) ASAP. The caliper will still likely be short lived without any plating or surface conversion treatment of the bore (when my customers request painted calipers, the castings get a zinc phosphate treatment for at least SOME protection and better paint adhesion).
914 RZ-1
Yes, I will be re-plating them. Can anyone recommend a good local (SoCal, near near the Santa Clarita or San Fernando Valley) plating company?
Shivers
Three I found on google

Van Nuys Plating Inc
(8) · Plating service
Van Nuys, CA · (818) 785-5885
Closed ⋅ Opens 7AM Mon

Pacific Plating
No reviews · Plating service
Sun Valley, CA · (818) 896-1102
Closed ⋅ Opens 7AM Mon

M & R Plating Corporation
(1) · Plating service
Pacoima, CA · (818) 896-2700
PatMc
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Mar 13 2022, 08:40 PM) *

Yes, I will be re-plating them. Can anyone recommend a good local (SoCal, near near the Santa Clarita or San Fernando Valley) plating company?

Sent you a message
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(Shivers @ Mar 13 2022, 06:50 PM) *

Three I found on google

Van Nuys Plating Inc
(8) · Plating service
Van Nuys, CA · (818) 785-5885
Closed ⋅ Opens 7AM Mon

Pacific Plating
No reviews · Plating service
Sun Valley, CA · (818) 896-1102
Closed ⋅ Opens 7AM Mon

M & R Plating Corporation
(1) · Plating service
Pacoima, CA · (818) 896-2700

Thanks. I was hoping to see if anyone had firsthand experience with a plating place that was local to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.