Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headers or not to headers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
retrotech
I know this has been mentioned before, and recently with the heat exchangers. My question is how much low end will I give up changing from stock 6 cyl. heat exchangers, going to 1 5/8 headers. My mechanic say 15 - 20 hp gain with my 2.8. I like the low end pull it has now, but the engine seems flat above 4500. Has anyone made the change from heat to headers, and can relate the seat of the of the pants experience. I understan for track use its a no brainer, and I want ultimate performance. But I would like feed back on how much you give up at low end. Mine pulls nicely from 2500 - 4000 now.

Thanks
Mueller
you can have 1 5/8 headers, I think B&B makes them....for a /6 (and most 911's), there is not much flow/design difference between a header and heat exchanger when the primary tubes are the same diameter.
retrotech
Mueller,

I appreciate your responce, but you didn't tell me anything new. The point is, I want to know what the in car feel is, between 1 5/8 headers and the factory, smaller diameter heat exchnagers.
I know what headers I will buy, I am looking for first hand experience from someone that has made the change, and what they think they did or did not accomplish.
olav

I was going to get headers too but was told I'd lose my low end torque which I want to keep plus the heat wouldn't be as good even though some manufacturers make the headers with heater boxes. They don't work!

I'm sticking with the stock heat exchangers.

Also was told that B&B and GHL headers don't fit all that well either.

If there are any other manufacturers to check out I'd like to know!

retrotech
Olav,

I am more interested in performance than heat, so that isn't a concern. What size engine do you have?
retrotech
Anyone with personal experience going from stock 6 heat exchangers to 1 5/8 headers. Perormance difference? Pros & cons?

Thanks
Joe Bob
I have a set of 1.5 inch 914/6 headers for sale...
the zoomies are sold....but I have some glass packs with turn downs that will bolt on.
retrotech
How much? What company made them?
Joe Bob
Eurotech...the guy in Nevada.....was asking $500. They are VHT coated and in great shape.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.