Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Cutaway Poster
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
relentless
Anyone seen this?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/6...bc-dab6f9f8afb2

Any interest in approaching the seller for a GB?
horizontally-opposed
Also very nice work, for those interested…

http://kaiartintl.com/porsche_2
JeffBowlsby
The 914 that was never factory built. RHD early car. I think they graphically flipped the illustration. With the ‘correct’ RHD heater fan lever on the center tunnel. rolleyes.gif
zoomCat
QUOTE(relentless @ Mar 11 2022, 09:55 PM) *

Anyone seen this?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/6...bc-dab6f9f8afb2

Any interest in approaching the seller for a GB?

I suspect IP theft.
wonkipop
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Mar 11 2022, 09:27 PM) *

The 914 that was never factory built. RHD early car. I think they graphically flipped the illustration. With the ‘correct’ RHD heater fan lever on the center tunnel. rolleyes.gif

i've got proof they existed.
dry.gif

drunk.gif

73-914
Just a flipped photo . everything on car is on the wrong side LOL. Gas tank fill, Alternator
JeffBowlsby
You mean this poster? HA!
Superhawk996
Funny how "negatives" work. RHD conversion . . . easy peasy.

I thought the RHD conversions were well covered in an article or one of the 914 books but I can't seem to find it quickly. confused24.gif
73-914
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Mar 12 2022, 11:01 AM) *

With Headlight Washers
wonkipop
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Mar 12 2022, 10:01 AM) *

thats the one.
guy who did the poster, brian c (rip), had a collection of 914 stuff that might have rivalled yours mr b.
was a graphic designer / advertising man.
funny guy. slipped his little twist into that poster.

remember that day down at phillip island - can't believe 25 years has gone by.
had 4 914s together - travelled down in convoy.
think it would have been the first time that ever happened in aus - 4 914s going down the highway together. a lot of fun.

its a good thing you can do a "lazy" rhd car.
too much to do mirroring windscreen wipers, fuel tanks.
would never get to the end of it.
even a factory rhd 911 is "lazy".

brian c's 3rd 914 was the aus distributors original demonstrator.
its owned by someone i see from time to time since brian died.
i saw it again very recently now that vid prison is finished with.
its interesting from a rhd perspective.
we never knew much about it when brian owned it - and he presumed the conversion was done here in the distributors workshop.
but the present owner has information it came in and was driven from the docks rhd.
it had come via japan where it spent a short amount of time with the J distributor.
when you look at it closely its entirely different from any conversion done here at after that time and its also nothing like a crayfords job.
the thought is it may have been converted to rhd in the factory workshop in germany before it was sent.
present owner was trying to get my recollections of the car as i was there the day brian picked it up after he bought it in the early 90s.
we went out to the farm where the aus distributor lived.
he still had the car. it was stored in a hayshed next to some pretty exotic other porsche stuff he owned. porsche race cars. some of which the factory bought back.
it was in the aftermath of the 80s financial crash. the distributor had to let bits of his collection go. thats how brian got the car. he was phoned up and offered the car first.
b c was kind of notorious for being the original 914 nerd of aus.

best i can remember it had little buckets in it back then that sure looked like GT seats.
the back firewall was lined in carpet felt like a gt.
and it had a 356 pull handbrake mounted under the dash.
i'm the only one who can remember it and saw it from that time.
brian ripped out that interior and put in a factory interior from a 73 and mirrored the floor hand brake. you probably would think twice about doing that now.
it also had a 4 speed box which its still got.
and that apparently was from the factory.

it will be interesting if they ever get to the end of their research on the car.
because if it was rhd before it got to japan on the way to australia there is really only one place it could have been converted to rhd.

i seriously doubt the japanese converted it.
they are and were always allowed lhd cars.
however it would have been a convenient short term demonstration car for them as they are a rhd country.
my view is it may have been something the factory arranged as an interim demonstrator car until rhd came into production, which in 1970 was still stated as going to happen.

EDIT

the distributor also brought one other car in at the time.
and that was definitely lhd and stayed lhd for a time.
it was used as a display vehicle and was not put on the road for a few years.
was converted in the distributors workshop here.
someone in sydney has that one and is restoring it.

sooner or later the two cars will be able to be compared to further cast light on things.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.