Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Treating the inside of suspension parts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GeorgeKopf
I've got my suspension completely apart and will have the exterior of all of the parts media blasted and powder coated.

On the trailing arm there is a hole (smaller than a dime) on the bottom which, I guess, is there to prevent moisture from pooling and rusting it out. Mine were full of dirt. I'm assuming that after 50 years there must be some amount of rust in there.

Also, my LCA have that long skinny tube where the torsion bars go. Mine were bone dry and, they too, probably have some amount of rust in there.

Any ides on how best to treat them? I was thinking of sloshing around a good amount of "Evapo-Rust" and then pouring in some sort of rust inhibitor (POR-15?)

Thanks.

George
Superhawk996
QUOTE(GeorgeKopf @ Mar 12 2022, 02:17 PM) *

Any ides on how best to treat them? I was thinking of sloshing around a good amount of "Evapo-Rust" and then pouring in some sort of rust inhibitor (POR-15?)

Thanks.

George

Since no one has responded to your question, I'll give you my thoughts.

Probably overkill if you parts are solid to begin with. If they are not sound already, it won't help. The metal used for suspension is pretty thick compared to typical 0.040" body sheet metal. A little surface rust inside isn't going to eat though any time soon.

I didn't do the interior of my suspension parts before or after sandblast and powdercoat.

If I were going to do it, I think I'd use something thinner than POR15 or just thin the POR15 way down so it flows better. Personally, I like the Eastwood internal frame coating. It's in a can, less messy, very low viscosity and flows/creeps into the tiniest of gaps. Just my two cents opinion.
GeorgeKopf
This is perfect.

I'm suffering from the "while I'm here" syndrome.

Thank you!

George
Geezer914
Eastwood inner frame coating. Green or black. It comes with an 18" hose with a 360 knosle. You can stick it in the hole and spray the inside as it will encapsulate any rust. I did the trailing arms and inside of the longs going up through the drain holes.
rgalla9146
I've seen the inside of trailing arms and found little to be concerned about.
YMMV
Will any of our cars see rust belt use from now on ?
But....if it is disassembled and in your hands why not spray the inside ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.