Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Gulf - Porsche 917
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mmichalik
I was invited to a private collection owned by collector and driver Tom Malloy today through the WRA (Western Racing Association)
He had just got back from Amelia Island and this was on his transport. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the person who owns it now but, in 2017 he bought it for 14 million dollars. Which is crazy when you think of it because I believe some one on this board posted an old add from the early 70's that said you could buy one for 30k at the time.
I could only walk up and around it but, that was truly enough. Since it wasn't Tom's car, I didn't ask to touch it but, Tom did let us poke around in his Lola and his GT 40 Mark IV.
He had some truly exceptional cars, including the #1, #2 and #3 placing finishers of the 1981 Indy 500. Which have a very cool story about the race being contested by Mario Andretti and Bobby Unser.
All in all, it was an awesome collection and truly inspiring to see. By the way, Tom personally owns a 1983 911 and a 356 which is going through a complete restoration right now as well.
Big Len
Whoa.....
Unobtanium-inc
It's like the time I was Porsche hunting in FL and came up on this.
914Sixer
I had the pleasure of seeing the 917's at Nuremberg Ring at the German GP in 1970.
Shivers
Very cool, nice way to spend a day. I saw one at the LA car show back when
930cabman
Very cool, thanks for posting.

And to think our lowly 914 finished not far behind a small group of these monsters at Lemans in 1970 and still lives currently in good stewardship.
URY914
This one is at the Brumos Museum here in Jax. I walked around it for 15 minutes just taking it all in.
mmichalik
I have to admit, it made me swoon a little.... smile.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(mmichalik @ Mar 13 2022, 10:43 AM) *

I have to admit, it made me swoon a little.... smile.gif

you were a lucky man.

only ever seen one of those things.
red and white one porsche own (recreation of le mans winner).

was shocked how small it was. (except for the massive engine). beerchug.gif

----
the museum guys started it up.
but they didn't drive it. pity.
was something at one of the grand prixs here years ago.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.