Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BAT 914 craziness
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jett
I commented several times on this car but not sure what is going on… VIN door sticker does not match window VIN, and chassis number is hidden by ID plate riveted overtop. Apparently the car’s title and registration is current but the same VIN is found in the LE registry.

How is it ok to sell this car?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-porsche-914-2-0-58/
mepstein
BAT doesn’t care. They don’t take responsibility for issues. They take their fee and let buyer and seller sort it out.
wonkipop
the vin sticker --18919 matches the k# 2119545 in the door jamb (right time in relation to vin of may 74).

eg another member listed car --18903 has k 2139568.

that checks out.

------

vin plate on the screen and in the trunk 15417 is march build car.
(as you say listed here as a creamsicle).
vin plate is riveted over the k number on the front guard obscuring it?

vin plate and the vin on the screen are fishy.
don't seem to go with the car.

car looks like its full of florida rust?

iankarr
Interesting that it’s only a few cars younger than my bb, which is 15411. To me, it looks like a basic front end clip replacement. I must admit I have a-pillar vin envy, as my bb’s plate was lost by the previous owner when the car was taken down to bare metal smile.gif. Nice finders fee to anyone who comes up with it smile.gif
rhodyguy
Goes smoother when a seller has their shit together prior to auctioning. The vin thing scares people off. No telling what will happen when the buyer gets the car to their home state. Maybe a big hassle or maybe smooth sailing. The car will need an influx of dough. And time.
wonkipop
QUOTE(iankarr @ Mar 13 2022, 11:47 AM) *

Interesting that it’s only a few cars younger than my bb, which is 15411. To me, it looks like a basic front end clip replacement. I must admit I have a-pillar vin envy, as my bb’s plate was lost by the previous owner when the car was taken down to bare metal smile.gif. Nice finders fee to anyone who comes up with it smile.gif

makes sense about the front end clip.

original vin plate must have got smashed up and destroyed.
so they grabbed the vin plates off the clip donor (or even some other car).
but kind of stalled when it came to the vin sticker -- too hard?
wonkipop
anyone else see what i think i can see in this photo?

Click to view attachment
Nine14four
I see some very questionable issues. Not one I would buy unless I had very deep pockets. Would love to see original VIN number hidden under misplaced (wrongly placed?) tag, and the number on the inner plate next to the spare.

Good Luck to the Buyer.
Jett
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Mar 13 2022, 12:15 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Good eye, never saw this. The car is dubious!
rhodyguy
The lift arms under and inboard on the mount bar is a nice touch. The seat combo is one I've never seen before.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Jett @ Mar 13 2022, 01:58 PM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Mar 13 2022, 12:15 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Good eye, never saw this. The car is dubious!

yes.

vitamin914
Seems like a dogs breakfast, all the gauges are pre '74 too.
davep
The car is so obviously 4742918919 as all the work orders attest to. The windshield VIN has been swapped, and the manufacturer plate is in the wrong place covering the stamped chassis VIN, so the title is fraudulent. If the original manufacturer plate is still there, that would seal it. I can get data proof in a couple of days if needed.
wonkipop
QUOTE(davep @ Mar 13 2022, 06:52 PM) *

The car is so obviously 4742918919 as all the work orders attest to. The windshield VIN has been swapped, and the manufacturer plate is in the wrong place covering the stamped chassis VIN, so the title is fraudulent. If the original manufacturer plate is still there, that would seal it. I can get data proof in a couple of days if needed.

i tend to agree.
the title is fraudulent.
the title accompanies another car which probably no longer exists.

davep
So what happened after 2008 when all the work was done on 4742918919?
davep
Well, I see the listing has been corrected, and they now admit that 4742918919 is the correct VIN, and have added the engine #. Next is to get clear title with correct VIN.
wonkipop
QUOTE(davep @ Mar 15 2022, 07:42 PM) *

Well, I see the listing has been corrected, and they now admit that 4742918919 is the correct VIN, and have added the engine #. Next is to get clear title with correct VIN.

thats good.
makes sense.

so........ some state rego authorities in the usa don't do visual inspections for new registrations/plates? cause somehow that one did get registered in that shape?
with two different id plates two feet apart! sad.gif smile.gif
bkrantz
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Mar 15 2022, 07:50 PM) *

thats good.
makes sense.

so........ some state rego authorities in the usa don't do visual inspections for new registrations/plates? cause somehow that one did get registered in that shape?

I had a county inspector (in Colorado) come to my house to verify the VIN on my project so I could transfer ownership on an out-of-state title.
wonkipop
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Mar 15 2022, 08:59 PM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Mar 15 2022, 07:50 PM) *

thats good.
makes sense.

I had a county inspector (in Colorado) come to my house to verify the VIN on my project so I could transfer ownership on an out-of-state title.

yeah right.

thats what they do here.
very officious.
can still remember putting mine on road in west australia for first time.
zero interest in vin label in door.
most interest was directed at the engraved/stamped chassis number.
wheel had to be taken off and some undercoating scraped away to see if they could detect welds from underneath as well as on top.

if you showed up with that car above in that state you would be probably a spectator at the crusher. but you wouldn't of course. but not having a matching title or proof of watertight matching ownership might turn into a migraine headache.
Optimusglen
Hah, Minnesota doesn't care. Never an in person inspection, no smog checks, and since I have collector plates no registration renewal charges.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Mar 15 2022, 10:05 PM) *

Hah, Minnesota doesn't care. Never an in person inspection, no smog checks, and since I have collector plates no registration renewal charges.

pity its so cold. i'd be applying for immigration reading that. no registration renewal charges is a very attractive enticement. they are going the gouge here post vid lockdown economic carnage. sad.gif
davep
4742915417 This fraudulent car is now on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144495123453?hash=...dAAAOSwqDdiUN8F
Van B
Oof.. taking his mark up and on to the next fool. It’s gonna be interesting when a buyer eventually shows up here asking questions and we all already know what happened lol…
914werke
"a highly original example"
popcorn[1].gif
JamesM
So, this is either someone retagging a stolen car or, possibly someone trying to up the value of their car by swapping a VIN in the LE range given the last couple LE sales have been pushing nearer to 6 figures.

Either way, this car is a rolling felony.

@JeffBowlsby think its probably safe to update the registry to state that 4742915417 no longer exists, at least as anything more than a pair of loose VIN tags.
iankarr
Someone definitely looking to get one over on a buyer for sure. But the big picture is that the actual VIN ending in 8919 seems to agree at the stamp, sticker, and frunk plate. It's not a clipped car. The red flag for a buyer is that the title has the wrong VIN. Once that's corrected (assuming the car isn't stolen and it's correctable), X8919 can continue its normal life. Sketchy that the seller, who appears to be a dealer, hasn't fixed the title first.

There's a "report item" button which allows you to let ebay know the vehicle is misrepresented. Not sure if they act on the info they get, but probably worthwhile letting them know.
drem914
QUOTE(davep @ Apr 18 2022, 04:02 PM) *

4742915417 This fraudulent car is now on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144495123453?hash=...dAAAOSwqDdiUN8F

And it's gone again. Pulled by Seller
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.