Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ugly Rain Hats Out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mlindner
I've been thinking about this for a year. 3/8 plexiglass with routed edges to hold filter in place. View of engine is a lot more interesting. MarkClick to view attachment
infraredcalvin
Looking good!
BillJ
Nice. Have that style on mine too. Got them from Rix Parts.
mlindner
Love those Bill, did not know of them. Mark
914Mels
QUOTE(mlindner @ Mar 13 2022, 10:06 AM) *

I've been thinking about this for a year. 3/8 plexiglass with routed edges to hold filter in place. View of engine is a lot more interesting. Mark

Plexiglass isn't the best choice around fuel. The fumes will affect the acrylic and you'll tend to see cracks start forming at any drilled holes you make. Hate to lose an expensive engine to a chunk of 'glass going down a carb. Any back fire through the intake could cause quite a mess. Maybe put them on only for car shows.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(BillJ @ Mar 13 2022, 01:19 PM) *

Nice. Have that style on mine too. Got them from Rix Parts.

Did you cut down the RIX rain shields?
Rix rain shields

If anyone drives their six 100-200 miles in a single go, 2-3 times a week I'd love to hear a review.
I've thought about getting a set, but just for shows. I just don't think I could trust them long term.
Front yard mechanic
I would like these on my 4 cyl beer.gif
BillJ
Yes they are a version that he plans to sell and has a few sets. They were just developed. I have not really run with them yet so i cannot give you a review.
roblav1
I have rainhats on my PMO46's but never liked them. Practical? Yes. I ran the old K&N flattops for years in all kinds of bad weather in 911s without issue.
BillJ
I am going to dyno with and without and see if i have an appreciable difference.
Krieger
QUOTE(BillJ @ Mar 13 2022, 04:43 PM) *

I am going to dyno with and without and see if i have an appreciable difference.

@BillJ does that mean your going to not have anything above the carbs? I ask because I did a dyno with the rain shields and air cleaners on and without anything in place. I do not want to say what my results were until after you report your results.
ndfrigi
Just wondering if there is also available for 914-4 dual carb clear cover?
BillJ
Car is only track so it has historically only run with velocity stacks amd nothing else. Between runs the PO used tennis balls to cover them.

As for type 4 variants you would jave to check with Rick.
Mikey914
We sell in ABS
https://914rubber.com/black-carburetor-rain-hat-set
Can pull you a set in acrylic may take a we weeks. I did do a set in silver I'll post up a pic later.
MArk
gandalf_025
I remember seeing quite a few original plastic air cleaners
melted from backfires..
This is an mild example of damage..
Most I have seen were far worse..

Click to view attachment
BillJ
Is that the bottom conponent or the "hat"? Not sure what we are looking at there?
BillJ
Or perhaps you are talking about the big plastic air cleaner shroud that goes on the original 2.0? These are not made of that soft a material so doubt that it will be an issue with these.

Either way i am running 60 minute sessions at most and will always be inspecting after each session. If backfires are happening that much i will be pitting anyway. Ymmv.
Fir
gandalf_025
The inside of the bottom of the factory air cleaner.
A couple of good backfires and they melted..

Click to view attachment
gandalf_025
They also used plastic velocity stacks on some cars..
Seen a few melt down into the carbs.

This carb has a plastic stack on the top, a metal one
in the middle and I think a plastic one on the bottom.

Click to view attachment
BillJ
Ok that makes sense. All MFI cars are plastic stacks right? Something to watch for in any event. With the clear should be able to see the result and specific cylinder very fast.
Justinp71

I was thinking about doing those, but I like with the rain hats you can dump the oil vent breather back into the motor. Made my garage smell a lot better... maybe can figure another way to dump the fumes back in...
Literati914
Can I have the ugly rain hats off your six, so I can install ‘em on my /4 .. and see how many people believe I’m rollin’ a six!! av-943.gif bootyshake.gif lol-2.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.