Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Access Panel Thru Firewall to Engine Comp
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Geo9146
Does anyone have a template for cutting an access panel thru the firewall to the engine compartment?
Thx
George
Mark Henry
Nope.
You have to wing it like everyone else. popcorn[1].gif
You want it big enough to pull your fan through the hole. sawzall-smiley.gif
Just don't cut into your wiring. unsure.gif

I probably have the biggest access hatch in the whole 914world. biggrin.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image
roblav1
Many people, including Mark, have a lot of experience here. After welding up a firewall in a previous 914, and seeing how structural it is, I decided not to do that cut on both my conversions. Remove intake, and loosen shroud... and you can get the fan out.
Steve
I bought the PMS panel and used rivnuts to hold it in place.
https://patrickmotorsports.com/products/bod...8cbbd&_ss=r
roblav1
Rivnuts is the way to go! If you go this route.
GregAmy
I'm thinking of doing this on my /4 just so I can use more rivnuts...love those things.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(roblav1 @ Mar 13 2022, 07:44 PM) *

Many people, including Mark, have a lot of experience here. After welding up a firewall in a previous 914, and seeing how structural it is, I decided not to do that cut on both my conversions. Remove intake, and loosen shroud... and you can get the fan out.

On my hatch I made a frame out of 16ga. steel, fully welded and then the panel is held in with 14 rivnuts. The frame is heavier than the 22ga. original metal. Also by using a frame I didn't need to source an oversize hatch panel.
BTW fan removal or install about 20 minutes, I've had to do it twice now.

IPB Image
rgalla9146
Not too convenient if you intend to keep your backpad.....no backpad is big invitation to NHV
But...excellent for access to ignition timing on 6 cyl. cars.
Especially if your flywheel is does not have timing marks
Retroracer
I've lost the template, but you can get the idea from the pic. The panel has a slight taper to it (not rectangular). I went for a minimal size to maintain integrity, but enough to get my hand through. On a six, this still allows me to:

- strobe light the crank markings for timing check
- reach through to tweak timing on distributor
- adjust / replace fan belt
- turn over the engine easily when checking valve timing

Rivnuts or similar highly recoommended. Hoping this helps,

- Tony

Click to view attachment
brant
aluminum for weight:
troth
Anybody done this with a carpeted firewall care to share pics? I imagine it could be made to look ok.
roblav1
Ha ha! Maybe you guys are convincing me! A rivnutted shroud has a lot of benefit.
ClayPerrine
This is my opinion, and I seem to be in the minority on here.

Having gone through an engine fire on a 914, I refuse to cut a hole from the engine compartment to the passenger compartment. It is called a "FIREWALL" for a reason.

I consider the engineers at Porsche to be smarter than me, and they didn't put a big assed hole in the firewall. They must have felt that the timing can be set without it, and you can remove the fan/alternator with the engine in the car, and not remove the intake. There is even a thread in the classics section on here that tells you exactly how to do it.

Steve
agree.gif
With my 3.2 stock six, I had no problems replacing the belt or getting to the distributor, but I wasn’t going to pull the engine to replace the alternator, so I installed a panel.
jim_hoyland
Didn’t Forrest Haagg make a FG template/Mold for a cover ?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 14 2022, 01:28 PM) *

Having gone through an engine fire on a 914, I refuse to cut a hole from the engine compartment to the passenger compartment. It is called a "FIREWALL" for a reason.

I consider the engineers at Porsche to be smarter than me, and they didn't put a big assed hole in the firewall. They must have felt that the timing can be set without it, and you can remove the fan/alternator with the engine in the car, and not remove the intake. There is even a thread in the classics section on here that tells you exactly how to do it.

I see your point but VW bay window bus and vanagons, type 3 and 4 all have engine access hatches, those are steel lids with two clamps. Ford, Dodge and GM vans and many others have plastic and insulation engine covers. Hino, Isuzu and Fuso crew cab trucks have a sewn material engine cover that just hangs over a frame.

That said I will only use a steel cover with several fasteners.
73-914

agree.gif
Mayne
Boxsters and Caymans have them from the factory, so there is that. A bit of work to get to, but very handy.
mepstein

Porsche also designed the 914 as a no frills intro sports car. Porsche made many production upgrades on all their models. A well done hatch just seems to be a positive.
Shivers
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 14 2022, 10:28 AM) *

Good point. So a proper gasket and a good overlap on the hatch is in order, if I proceed.

https://www.grainger.com/product/56GV17?ef_...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds
Lucky9146
QUOTE(troth @ Mar 14 2022, 08:56 AM) *

Anybody done this with a carpeted firewall care to share pics? I imagine it could be made to look ok.

@troth

Per your request.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.