Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New NLA 914 parts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
JeffBowlsby
So if we could have a source for every imaginable NLA 914 part...or bolt-on improved versions what would you want my brothah's and sistah's?

There have been some great items made up recently including Mueller suspension bearings and the RennsShifter...and the lenses and...

What else do we need? What can you contribute to this list? What would be first on your list?
seanery
Visors!
SirAndy
1) sets of complete vaccum hoses for the different type engines. with the right size fittings and diameters and quality (not the crap AA sells) ...

2) rubber rear trunk targa top holders that don't break after a week or two.

3) eletrical windhield washer pump plus updated water tank. (stock tank can be modified to work with electrical, btw.)

4) a AC (or heater) system that doesn't involve hacking the car into pieces.
Brad Roberts
I actually asked Jon Lowe this same quesion 3-4 years ago. We came up with a list of "must haves" in the near future. One of them was the splash pan for the front suspension. Its has been NLA for a awhile now.

How about starting a thread that tells us what IS NLA and what is not.

Kinda like the BS being spewed about the 9146 tanks from a famous SoCal 914 parts pusher.

B
Jeroen
Send your requests to PCNA or preferably Porsche AG
They are very active on the 'classic' department
When enough demand for certain parts exists, they'll take them back into production

Check the classic pages on the porsche.com website

Bottom line: if you don't drop them a line, they don't know and won't reproduce shit rolleyes.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
Red-Beard
Oil lines for the 6. According to "The Bird", the are NLA from PCNA.
tod914
USA lenses, aux. air reg, side marker seals, black plastic threshold rivets, white plastic threshold rivets, (only clear is available), decel valve, white head lamp covers,
shift knob, visors, consoles, door panels, injector elbows, 70-72 rear bumper, 73-74 muffler bracket,cigar lighter cap (replacement is different), green fog cap. i'll add to this when i think of more.
mskala
We need the rear targa top holders to be made out of the stuff
they used in 'stretch armstrong' the toy. There was no way to
break that thing headbang.gif laugh.gif Thin rubber with gooey stuff
inside, I think it would hold the top nicely.
tat2dphreak
the "PORSCHE" center Lens(with elec. selenoid) and aftermarket center console would be nice...
Aaron Cox
visors, some interior trim pieces, some exterior chrome, complete lock sets for a whole car....
ninefourteener
I say bring back those ABS plastic rocker panels with the raised Porsche lettering.

I'd kill to find a set of those. I was bidding on a set on e-bay, and the owner cancelled the auction, sold it outright to someone else, and this is after I already asked him to do the same. I was kinda pissed.

Anyway, haven't seen another set since then.
Qarl
I'm working on the foglight seals. I have the quote. I just have to get off my lazy ass and order them.
StratPlayer
Heads good ones
Alfred
Like Tod914 said, the Auxiliary Air Regulator for the 1.7L, 2.0L. Also, sodium filled exhaust valves that are listed as NLA in the 914 PET.

Alfred
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(ninefourteener @ Jul 24 2003, 10:24 AM)
I say bring back those ABS plastic rocker panels with the raised Porsche lettering.

I'd kill to find a set of those. I was bidding on a set on e-bay, and the owner cancelled the auction, sold it outright to someone else, and this is after I already asked him to do the same. I was kinda pissed.

DUDE! I have a set of those on my parts car! PM me! laugh.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Jul 24 2003, 10:40 AM)
Heads good ones

and cheap dammit! stfu.gif
ninefourteener
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jul 24 2003, 08:15 AM)
QUOTE(ninefourteener @ Jul 24 2003, 10:24 AM)

I'd kill to find a set of those.  I was bidding on a set on e-bay, and the owner cancelled the auction, sold it outright to someone else, and this is after I already asked him to do the same.  I was kinda pissed.

DUDE! I have a set of those on my parts car! PM me! laugh.gif

I just e-mailed you on Yahoo..... check your mail. I'll be back online this evening. Thanks!
Brad Roberts
Almost everything listed so far Porsche didnt actually make (it was mostly outsourced) like Hella not making the lenses anymore...

B
Jeroen
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jul 24 2003, 06:15 PM)
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Jul 24 2003, 10:40 AM)
Heads good ones

and cheap dammit! stfu.gif

That's the whole problem...
You don't want new parts, you want cheap parts rolleyes.gif
Not gonna happen

cheers,

Jeroen
tat2dphreak
you're right I would rather have *decent* parts that aren't extremely expensive than terrific parts I can't afford.

it's all in what you want to do with the car I suppose... if you just want a car that looks sweet and is a blast to burn up and down the roads... you aren't willing to pay 2000 on new heads... if you are into autox... 2k is nothing for new heads... esp. if they can win you a race or 2..

I'm a cheap SOB! I would also like to get a center console(even a reproduction) for less than 100...
tod914
Ah guess i found on my car today - a broken air pressure sensor. sure would be nice if those copper diaprams were available. Add that to the list tongue.gif

we ended up putting on some type of adhesive to repair the diaphram. hopefully it will hold up for abit.
JeffBowlsby
abit

And only abit. Carry a spare or be sure you have a cell phone on any drive. Those diaphragms take alot of stress.
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jul 24 2003, 01:57 PM)

I'm a cheap SOB! I would also like to get a center console(even a reproduction) for less than 100...

I can make the center consoles less gauges but not for less than $100... maybe right at $100.

tat2, I see you made a valient effort for that console on Ebay the other day. Was hoping you'd get it. I was gonna bid if it stayed low just to have one for duplication purposes. I wanna make a low armrest style console with drink holders to incorporate into the center console.
bruce
tod914
Bows, do u know of any1 who rebuilds them with a warranty? Or possibly know where to get the diaphram?
TheCabinetmaker
Tat2d, I have three consoles with gauges. one for ac and two without.
redshift
QUOTE(seanery @ Jul 23 2003, 08:55 PM)
Visors!

http://www.autosunvisors.com/

Under $70, shipped.

You are welcome. smile.gif

M
seanery
This link needs to be added somewhere easily accessible by all.

Sun Visor Repair and Replacement!

THANKS REDSHIFT!!
TheCabinetmaker
agree.gif smilie_pokal.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Bruce, You gonna reproduce the consoles? I'll donate one to the cause
-P-
Hows the condition on the one for a/c? How much you want for it?
TheCabinetmaker
P,
I'll get them down and blow the dust tomorrow and email you with the condition. One is very good, one is good, and one not so good. Not sure which is which.
-P-
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jul 24 2003, 06:56 PM)
P,
I'll get them down and blow the dust tomorrow and email you with the condition. One is very good, one is good, and one not so good. Not sure which is which.

Sounds good. I appreciate it.
Aaron Cox
ok..here is an idear...
everyone wants sunvisors right? so what if we did a bulk buy!!! get the price down for all! boldblue.gif

whadda yall thinkizzle?
KaptKaos

I gots me a set. If your deal falls through, let me know.

- Joe ph34r.gif
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jul 24 2003, 07:09 PM)
Bruce, You gonna reproduce the consoles? I'll donate one to the cause

Hey there V, can't ask for much more than that... pretty darned cool of ya. Don't need anything special. A shitty old delapedated one would work fine as long as I can get a stencil off'n it. My Dad taught me how to do that French seam that's along the edge tops. I did one for myself just to put speakers in. I didn't use any seam, just stapled the flat work to the wood & did some neat folds. Let me know what the weight is and I'd send ya the shipping cost.
bruce
Bruce Allert
Different view
ThinAir
I learned some interesting stuff today about the challenges of getting parts for older vehicles.

I ordered new window rubber for my son's 1975 VW Bus. When I called to check on the order I learned that the rubber for the rear and center vent windows is not available anywhere on this planet. It seems that the only company that makes them is the same one that makes rubber for VWs new cars, but they make the vintage stuff between regular production runs when they have both the time and the urge. Unfortunately, their die broke awhile back so they haven't made this part in awhile. Since the demand can't possibly be as large as their regular market, who knows when they'll get the urge again.

When I asked about West Coast Metric I was told that their die broke even longer ago than the German manufacturer. WCM is probably the biggest reproduction rubber place around for VWs so if they haven't bothered to fix their die then it tells you something about the return on investment.

There are certainly opportunities out there for those who are equipped to take advantage of them, but the economics of it is probably pretty tough.
TheCabinetmaker
Bruce, can you do the wood also, or just the covering. I am a cabinetmaker by trade and own my shop. We can fabricate anything in wood, but vinyl is foreign to me.

Oh yeah, email your address and I'll get it out.

P, I'll email a pic. If its not in good shape, maybe bruce can recover it for you?
Bruce Allert
Can do wood V. Can't remember if I used 1/4" or 3/8' plywood for the one pictured. Since all the angles are straight cuts I'm in Fat City! Just picked up a great little Craftsman table saw at a garage sale too... $25 smile.gif With a little more practice these should go relatively fast. The vinyl now adays works great when it's warm.
bruce
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Bruce Allert @ Jul 24 2003, 06:18 PM)
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jul 24 2003, 01:57 PM)

I can make the center consoles less gauges but not for less than $100... maybe right at $100.

tat2, I see you made a valient effort for that console on Ebay the other day. Was hoping you'd get it. I was gonna bid if it stayed low just to have one for duplication purposes. I wanna make a low armrest style console with drink holders to incorporate into the center console.
bruce

I was gunning for it... but he who bids last...Wins! I was up with 20 seconds to go and he bid again... evidently with a pretty high bid.

I PM'd VSG though, I may get lucky yet! boldblue.gif I may get with you if one needs recovering... seems like you are the man! pray.gif

if that doesn't work out I may try to build one out of aluminum for my car... to fit with the brushed aluminum doorpanels and gauge plate...
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jul 25 2003, 06:37 AM)

if that doesn't work out I may try to build one out of aluminum for my car... to fit with the brushed aluminum doorpanels and gauge plate...

Now THAT would look cool. A matched set of brushed al-you-mainium interior. Got any pics of the interior now?
bruce
tat2dphreak
still in the works... it's just plans right now I plan to replace the basket weave on the doors with Brushed AL.. and leave the top smooth pad, on the dash face I plan to strip the basket weave off and leave it glassy black, and fashion a gauge plate out of aluminum too...

the thick aluminum I bought turned out to be MONEL! which means it wouldn't cut with my light weight plasma cutter(barely scratched!) and an OXY/ACE setup took forever to get it hot and then it melted a huge hole instead of a tiny one. so, I need to find some more thickish(1/8th-3/16") aluminum for the pedal board and possibly the console... or I may just buy a GOOD Jigsaw and a TON of blades and cut up the MONEL! that might look cool, but I would be afraid it would tarnish easier since it's mostly Nickel...

Bruce since you are THE console man... would you be interested in making a console with MONEL sides and black metal face? idea.gif if so, how much?
Brad Roberts
There are certainly opportunities out there for those who are equipped to take advantage of them, but the economics of it is probably pretty tough.

Ernie nailed it. We want everything and we want it for free.

I personally want to do the 9146 stainless HE's because I'm a 914 guy.. but if the sales numbers dont match up to the tooling costs, it doesnt make sense to build them. Sure.. we will sell 20-30 right off the bat for half the price of the B+B's.. but I need to sell 300-400 of them over a year or so. We would probably do run of a 1000 and then not build any for 3-4 years. The number of 9146's still around and the number of conversion cars we could sell product to doesnt really make good business sense.

B
914werke
Brad what do you think about the economics or reproducing the OE bannana Muffler in SS? unsure.gif
Rockaria
On Visors and interior parts. I found a local Upolstery shop that did my car interior completely for less than $500 bucks and it looks and wears just as good, if not better, than the original.

Then a few months later I took them a set of my old Sun Visors and they did a perfect job in redoing them and for Less than $50 each.... If I wanted leather $100 each. These are guarenteed not to BLOWFISH on you. Even the new or good looking 914 visors I see will BLOWFISH the first time the temp is over 90 degrees.

So I always look locally before I bend over to let some places have access to my wallet. Usually they do a Kobe on you when getting the money! blink.gif
tat2dphreak
pics?!

"do a Kobe" LMMFAO!!! lol3.gif
Bruce Allert
tat2... if you can't cut the Monel I don't know how I could. Not really into metal (just Heavy Metal wink.gif ) It'd prolly look really cool. I can't even imagine how I'd stick it together!

Rockaria, If you went South of the border to get the Upholstery done there's a good chance everything was stuffed with cow or horse shit! At least that's what they used to do in the 60's. Cheap upholstery that had an o'dure rolleyes.gif
I'm sure you have a really good job and for $500 you got a deal.
bruce
Brad Roberts
Rich.. the muffler will happen. The 911 and 914 use the exact same banana with different inlet locations/flanges but the same outlet in slightly different locations.

Its number two on the "hot list" I cant say what number 1 is but it has to do with 911's.

B
seanery
I contacted the link above for the visor replacement.
They will do repairs only to ours and have no replacement for it.
No price until they actually have yours in their dirty litte hands.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Bruce Allert @ Jul 25 2003, 03:45 PM)
tat2... if you can't cut the Monel I don't know how I could. Not really into metal (just Heavy Metal wink.gif ) It'd prolly look really cool. I can't even imagine how I'd stick it together!

Rockaria, If you went South of the border to get the Upholstery done there's a good chance everything was stuffed with cow or horse shit! At least that's what they used to do in the 60's. Cheap upholstery that had an o'dure rolleyes.gif
I'm sure you have a really good job and for $500 you got a deal.
bruce

it cuts with a blade fine(jigsaw/sawsall) just not with plasma(which would mke the job easy)... screws/bolts should hold it fine. I'm assuming the support hardware(brackets etc.) would be the same. don't worry about it though... I'll get som aluminium from onlinemetal.com (unless someone knows a cheaper place) and do it... do you think a 3'x4' piece is big enough for the 2 side pieces? how thick does it need to be(minimum)? I'm thinking 1/8" is thick enough.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.