Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what year early 914's had the porthole valence?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
looking to buy a long metal rear valence..... would like to know what years they came on?
was it just 70? 71 too? 72??

AA

BTW - i know they only fit 1.7's.... and another one for /6's......

going to mod it anyway.....
smg914
1970 and 1971 and it was revised sometime in 1972.
Grimstead
What other types of valences were there?
Aaron Cox
thank you steve....

looking for a 70-71 rear valence smile.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Grimstead @ Aug 1 2005, 01:09 PM)

3 types

1 long style, with a large hole for a 6cl exhaust,
1 long style, small porthole for early 1.7 exhaust
1 styele, short seen on late 71-76 models (most common), has a notch for the tailpip
echocanyons
My 72 has the prothole valance, I have no reason to believe it is not original
McMark
I don't know about the hole size between the 4 and 6 long valences, but the hole is clearly farther to the left on the 6.
McMark
Here's pictures of an original six on the car and an original four on the ground.

user posted image
Brent
[QUOTE=McMark,Aug 1 2005, 01:35 PM] Here's pictures of an original six on the car and an original four on the ground.

Damn that look is sweet! I was searching my "borrowed" pics for the same image.

Arron, which one are leaning towards? I've alson seen a double port from a pic from WCC. Here it is:
Grimstead
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Aug 1 2005, 01:13 PM)
QUOTE (Grimstead @ Aug 1 2005, 01:09 PM)

3 types

1 long style, with a large hole for a 6cl exhaust,
1 long style, small porthole for early 1.7 exhaust
1 styele, short seen on late 71-76 models (most common), has a notch for the tailpip

I seeeee, thanks for the info. I just have the notched one sad.gif
VegasRacer
Aaron - A few months ago I was also looking for a wide style early rear valance.
I ended up buying mine from E.A.S.Y. They said they had a few more in stock. What I got was not perfect. That was not a problem for me since I also planned to do some custom mods. All it needed was a can of brake cleaner to get off a layer of grease and oil, media blasting, some cutting and welding to relocate the exhaust hole, some smash.gif and a little bondo, sanding, primer and paint.
Aaron Cox
thats exactly what im doing....user posted image
thats Jims car. i have a dual out triad, id like to fit under an early valence

AA
SLITS
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Aug 1 2005, 02:12 PM)
Aaron - A few months ago I was also looking for a wide style early rear valance.
I ended up buying mine from E.A.S.Y. They said they had a few more in stock. What I got was not perfect. That was not a problem for me since I also planned to do some custom mods. All it needed was a can of brake cleaner to get off a layer of grease and oil, media blasting, some cutting and welding to relocate the exhaust hole, some smash.gif and a little bondo, sanding, primer and paint.

Ya wuss....ya coulda had the ones I had cheap and done the same thang.......
VegasRacer
QUOTE (SLITS @ Aug 1 2005, 02:50 PM)
Ya wuss....ya coulda had the ones I had cheap and done the same thang.......

Yeah. I know that now. The one I got from EASY turned out to be more work than I expected, but still less than either of yours would have needed.

Don't feel bad Ron. I promise I will hit you up when I need a special favor or a rare part. I try to keep all of the 'A' listers like you in reserve until I really need them.

I know that next time you might not be in such a generous mood.
If I have to I'll challenge you to a race from Kingman to Oatman - double or nothing.
rhodyguy
i should think an original 6 version would be kinda valuble to cut up. ohmy.gif

k
Porsche Rescue
Performance Products catalog (p. 146) shows reproduction fiberglass rear valances. They show a 914 six "deep" valance ($90)
They also list one with no cut out but don't show a pic ($75). It is likely the deep valance. Might be worth a call if you don't have to have metal.
SLITS
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Aug 1 2005, 03:04 PM)
If I have to I'll challenge you to a race from Kingman to Oatman - double or nothing.

I won't miss any apexes this time biggrin.gif

Plus, I'll install my patented "Blue Flame Seat Heater and Turbo Boost Modification" for more power icon8.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE (SLITS @ Aug 1 2005, 04:51 PM)
I'll install my patented "Blue Flame Seat Heater and Turbo Boost Modification" for more power

user posted image

You are gonna need more than a burrito for lunch if you want to have a chance. bootyshake.gif
Mueller
anyone know why the design change?

too much heat build up?

exhaust pipe vibrated against valance too much with it surrounded 360°???

well????

SLITS
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Aug 1 2005, 04:56 PM)
QUOTE (SLITS @ Aug 1 2005, 04:51 PM)
I'll install my patented "Blue Flame Seat Heater and Turbo Boost Modification" for more power

user posted image

You are gonna need more than a burrito for lunch if you want to have a chance. bootyshake.gif

I went to the road racing school of "How to block without looking like you're blocking" finger.gif
smg914
QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 1 2005, 04:00 PM)
anyone know why the design change?

too much heat build up?

well????

Not only did it cause the engines to run hotter because it didn't allow the hot air to escape, it also acted like a snow shovel in the winter climates and snow, ice and gravel would accumulate up inside the large valance and it would actually over time begin to hang lower in the middle and become disfigured.
VegasRacer
Blocking won't help when you are in 2nd place in a two car race.

Next you're gonna try and blame that sweet, innocent girl you had as a passenger.
redshift
QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 1 2005, 08:00 PM)

That is what my guess has been, but it's also easier to build the car, a little more modern, and prolly cost $2 less to make.

M
Porsche Rescue
One more theory: deep valance would likely have to be installed after power train, whereas notched valance could be installed first. No idea if that would matter for production efficiency.\
Edit: Maybe that's what Miles means by "easier to build".
Kargeek
Cooling and snow and crud build up was one consideration with the early cars- I dont care I like the looks of the early pan, especially with a custom dual outlet.

My car is a four with a deep six pan and exaust tip.

The factory had a part number for the early valance with cooling slots- check this out from my early parts guide. I was never able to find one or hear of one ever installed on a car. DH
MattR
Aaron, maybe you could add some RUF style openings like #9 ? It may go with the louvered rockers.
Kargeek
Aron,

Cheese grater rear valance - Three or four vertical rows of louvers just below the area of the license plate area - option is to match the angle areas of the bumper.

DH
Aaron Cox
wow - never seen that before....

BTW dave - i plan on doing the cheesegrater rockers also....but, whered you do them and what did it cost?

thanks all
AA
Garland
Aaron here a another picture for you.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Garland @ Aug 1 2005, 10:02 PM)

exactly! pray.gif

tirad + deep valence..... plus A8 chrome tips smile.gif

got any advice for modding it for the triad? how much did you have to move the hole? and how did you duplicate it on the opposite side?
Garland
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Aug 2 2005, 12:09 AM)
QUOTE (Garland @ Aug 1 2005, 10:02 PM)

exactly! pray.gif

tirad + deep valence..... plus A8 chrome tips smile.gif

got any advice for modding it for the triad? how much did you have to move the hole? and how did you duplicate it on the opposite side?

This was a 6 valance, and I had to move the hole slightly outboard and weld in a plate to cover the difference. I trimmed the Triad tips off about 3", installed the valance and outlined the locations for the holes from the backside of the valance. The exhaust is very well made, but it, or the car was slightly off on side to side height. So a slight shim on one trans mount, and a extra washer at the engine bar made it correct. I left about a 1/2 " clearance around the pipe after increasing the size to fit the A8 tips. The holes are not round since the valance is angled. Slightly oval cut.

By the way thanks for your post, or the one you where in, on the Triad a while back it helped me make my mind up on what to buy.

The reason I cut a 6 valance was it had been cut before to fit a 4!. Hard to think the PO did that.
Kargeek
The dual outlet look is so "bitchin" (you can tell how old I am with that statement...I had my louvers punched by an outfit in Stanton, CA- Sir Michaels Louvers – this was back in the 80’s. Boyd Coddington Hot Rods was down the street. He may still be in business.

I can ask my buddy at SoCal Speed Shop in Pomona if he can help you out- we have a number of contacts with a louver press. Dave H
ChrisFoley
Back when my race car ('70) was still a street car I modified the deep rear valence for improved cooling. I made two rectangular openings and added expanded metal taken from an engine lid. I still have it stored somewhere.
redshift
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Aug 1 2005, 09:39 PM)

Edit: Maybe that's what Miles means by "easier to build".

These cars were marketed in the early years of focus groups, and marketing consultants... along with all those much needed upgrades, the industry got better bean counters.

Ok, I nominate Garland's car for "bitchinest 1.7 with a triad"

That is very nice.

M
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Aug 1 2005, 12:32 PM) *

My 72 has the prothole valance, I have no reason to believe it is not original

My May '72 production 914 HAD it also, but was destroyed by vibrations from a Bursch muffler. Been using the notched valence for quite a while, but really would like to go back to the old style.
Katmanken
Kargeek,

Thats weird....

My parts book doesn't show that picture OR that louvered valence.... blink.gif

Must be multiple books....

What else you got unique in that book of yours?

Ken
Leo Imperial
This thread is approaching a year old.

Did Aaron ever do this to his car???
McMark
It's funny, because I just looked up this old thread for a project I'm working on. And the next day, it popped to the top. lol2.gif

I think Aaron did it because he bought an early valence from me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.