Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 exhaust pipes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
930cabman
I have not been having luck finding a source of exhaust pipes, without heat exchanger jackets. At $2.k for a new set of S. Stl. heat exchangers, there must be other options

thanks
Mark Henry
Performance
Tangerine is the best, 4-2-1 header, tube size and muffler options. IIRC a heater box kit. Steel, ceramic coated

Marty makes a nice 4 into 1 header, no muffler, IIRC they are sold through AA. Steel, ceramic option

European Racing headers another 4 into 1, no muffler. Steel, header paint.

There's a couple ebay units, rip off of Marty's header and they don't fit worth a stromberg.gif
930cabman
Thanks guys, I was hoping for something on the cheap, or even somewhat reasonably priced.

DIY?
930cabman
QUOTE(930cabman @ Mar 13 2022, 05:43 PM) *

Thanks guys, I was hoping for something on the cheap, or even somewhat reasonably priced.

DIY?

It's looking like Marty has something affordable, I will call him this week.

thanks again.
914Sixer
I have a set of factory 2.0 exhaust with out the tin. Be tomorrow before I can get some pictures.
rhodyguy
If you don't care about heat, Mark's piping is the way to go on the cheap.
Mark Henry
Headers are the best and most bolt on power for the buck.
They don't do a lot for stock-ish builds (7 to 15%), but do add 20-30hp+ on a stroker.

Pay Marty for the ceramic coating, it's worth it.
914Sixer
Finally got to warehouse for pictures
Van B
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 13 2022, 09:22 PM) *

They don't do a lot for stock-ish builds (7 to 15%), but do add 20-30hp+ on a stroker.

agree.gif
There are several benefits to ceramic coating any exhaust that go beyond the heat insulating factor.

The biggest one for me is the superior resistance to galvanic corrosion. Since the coating is so thin, it's thread safe, and can be applied to the whole part. Which means the corrosion you deal with from dissimilar metals like stainless contacting zinc or aluminum is blunted by the aluminum in the "polished" ceramic coating.
930cabman
QUOTE(Van B @ Mar 15 2022, 01:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 13 2022, 09:22 PM) *

agree.gif
There are several benefits to ceramic coating any exhaust that go beyond the heat insulating factor.

The biggest one for me is the superior resistance to galvanic corrosion. Since the coating is so thin, it's thread safe, and can be applied to the whole part. Which means the corrosion you deal with from dissimilar metals like stainless contacting zinc or aluminum is blunted by the aluminum in the "polished" ceramic coating.

I have 0 experience with ceramic coatings, but I am somewhat concerned of the lack of heat dissipation. from what I understand the heat radiation with a ceramic coating is reduced by about 30%. Where does the heat go? Does it stay within the exhaust tubing and promote heat stress/cracking? and thereby a shorter service life?
Van B
More of the heat stays in the exhaust gas, due to the low conductivity of the ceramic. Also, the manner of application "seals" the metal which actually reduces the heat exposure and subsequent oxidation of the metal. Regarding your concern, it is important headers are coated inside.
Post cat, enough heat has dissipated that you really only need an outside coating to reduce heat soak on other parts of the car; like the fuel tank or suspension.

For cars like the 914, it's more of a judgement call based on the build as to when you no longer care about inside pipe coating. These engines can't survive the same heat levels of modern cars anyway.
930cabman
Being a piker by nature, I am looking for cheap. I am considering a set of used stock 2 liter pipes with cast ends. The headers I have seen appear to have potential interference issues with shifter rod, ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.