Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LJet Dark Magic tune up kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nditiz1
So because I care more about driving my 914 than fixing issues with a leaking engine I decided to buy a 1.8L. I mean why not. So it runs and doesn't run perfect, but sounds pretty ok. I barely got through my last dark magic djet battle. This is an all new animal. This has most likely been asked before, but I have never come across it. IS there a listing of all the seals, hoses, frog powder dust, that I need to purchase to do a complete tune up of this old girl? When I perform a tune up it usually consists of cap, rotor, plugs, wires, oil, valve adjustment, and timing. I never touch any seals or vac hoses, but it seems like this should be done. Help me please with a list of "definite replace these" items. Oh and it's a 75 1.8L.

Thanks team!
nihil44
Looks like you have the basic tune up items covered.
My approach would be do your basic tune up and then assess running. You said it didn’t run too well. If it runs well after a tune, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it

If not running well, identify symptoms and then do some trouble shooting. There are a number of sources for L Jet troubleshooting eg factory workshop manual,VW Super Beetle Bentley shop manual. The L Jet system at that time was used in 914, Beetle and Vanagon. Basically all the same.

If that doesn’t work for you then shout out to 914world L Jet punters. Lots of wise heads on this site who are very helpful with advice

Hope you nail it. When sorted, they drive so smoothly
Van B
If you just bought the car, I would recommend going through all the L-Jet systems and make sure they're functioning. Then, once you've got a baseline established and a familiarity with what each part does, you'll find this car much more enjoyable.

I've been chasing a weak cold start issue ever since I bought my car last year. I've uncovered/learned some very interesting things along the way that I think are important for every L-jet owner to keep an eye on.

In finding so many small issues, I've arrived at the opinion that my cold start issues are a culmination of many things not working as they should.

Us 1.8 guys are here and ready to help whenever you're ready to dig in.

Van
JeffBowlsby
Here are a couple resources to help orient you. L-Jet is a GREAT FI system, take the time to learn it (not that hard) and it will greatly increase your experience satisfaction with it.

https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_Man12.pdf

https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_Man08.pdf
wonkipop
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Mar 13 2022, 07:34 PM) *

So because I care more about driving my 914 than fixing issues with a leaking engine I decided to buy a 1.8L. I mean why not. So it runs and doesn't run perfect, but sounds pretty ok. I barely got through my last dark magic djet battle. This is an all new animal. This has most likely been asked before, but I have never come across it. IS there a listing of all the seals, hoses, frog powder dust, that I need to purchase to do a complete tune up of this old girl? When I perform a tune up it usually consists of cap, rotor, plugs, wires, oil, valve adjustment, and timing. I never touch any seals or vac hoses, but it seems like this should be done. Help me please with a list of "definite replace these" items. Oh and it's a 75 1.8L.

Thanks team!

congrats.

agree with above.

tip toe in, a step at a time. the car runs. thats a good start.

now that we know you have a 75 L jet.
take a read of this thread and see if you can help us with some of the information - for research.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=358211

beerchug.gif
emerygt350
QUOTE(Van B @ Mar 14 2022, 01:10 PM) *

If you just bought the car, I would recommend going through all the L-Jet systems and make sure they're functioning. Then, once you've got a baseline established and a familiarity with what each part does, you'll find this car much more enjoyable.

I've been chasing a weak cold start issue ever since I bought my car last year. I've uncovered/learned some very interesting things along the way that I think are important for every L-jet owner to keep an eye on.

In finding so many small issues, I've arrived at the opinion that my cold start issues are a culmination of many things not working as they should.

Us 1.8 guys are here and ready to help whenever you're ready to dig in.

Van

And us djet guys are here for the popcorn[1].gif
Dave_Darling
Remember:
- Ignition problems are easy to misdiagnose as fuel injection problems. Make sure your ignition system is working properly before you start checking the FI system.
- L-jet haaaaaaates vacuum leaks. Since the crankcase is (at least in 74s) tied into the vacuum system, this means you need good seals on non-obvious stuff like the oil filler cap! That's in addition to all of the regular vacuum leak sources.

--DD
nditiz1
Thanks all for the info.

Order some tune up stuff today and will start digging in.

Also to clarify I didn't buy a car just the engine.

I can't stand having a non driving 914. So much so that I am temporarily abandoning the 6 I have sitting until I have more time to get the major oil leak addressed. This engine will at least scoot me down the road.

DD - very good point about the oil cap. Apparently in order to get this one to run that was needed and it fired up afterwards.

I did a preliminary leak down. 7% on one and 16 - 18% on the other 3. For a used engine with possibly 117k that's fine with me.
Rob-O
I’ll be honest…I used the second link in Jeff’s post to teach myself how fuel injection works, then to test all the components in my L-Jet system and then to do a continuity test on my L-Jet harness.

My car had a carb on it when I got it and I went back to FI. Once you understand what everything does it really isn’t that difficult to diagnose. Finding all of the issues might be a challenge but you’ll get there.
StarBear
Super ditto to all the above; a HUGE L-Jet brain trust. Welcome aboard! driving.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Mar 14 2022, 07:06 PM) *

Thanks all for the info.

Order some tune up stuff today and will start digging in.

Also to clarify I didn't buy a car just the engine.

I can't stand having a non driving 914. So much so that I am temporarily abandoning the 6 I have sitting until I have more time to get the major oil leak addressed. This engine will at least scoot me down the road.

DD - very good point about the oil cap. Apparently in order to get this one to run that was needed and it fired up afterwards.

I did a preliminary leak down. 7% on one and 16 - 18% on the other 3. For a used engine with possibly 117k that's fine with me.

even better.
all the stuff we are after for historical research is on the engine.
read the thread, won't take up much of your time and take some photos if the stuff is there.

good luck and enjoy mucking about with the L jet.
and most important - driving your car again. beerchug.gif
nditiz1
I'm missing number 2, but have the other items pictured. Also already have the pushrod tubes out on the 3/4 side. Going to reseal those and the temp plate, then give this underneath a bath.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
wonkipop
hey @nditiz1

thanks
you bloody beaudy! (in aus-lish) beerchug.gif

thats fantastic.

i see its a 920

there are two circular plates on the bottom of the engine sump.
one is on the front end (fan end).
is that a plate for an oil temp guage sensor connection that takes the electrical wire?
or is the plain type which just has a bump in it and no capacity for a temp sensor?

you got yourself a 49 state engine.
and it looks pretty intact with all the components there.
what state they are in is another matter.
but the photos are good.

a few other members can pipe in now and give you some opinions.

your intake plenum looks a bit suss, but you would know all that yourself.
i assume you got an aircleaner/afm/intake boot and ECU with that and are just not in photos.
wonkipop
@nditiz1

correct vacuum hose diagram posted below.

courtesy of pete klager who drew it years ago - was posted on pelican parts forum.
for the 75 calif spec car.

that engine you have is the 49 states car.
did not have exhaust gas recirculation.
i made some notes to assist with what is different.

this will help with hoses.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.