Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back pad insulation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TRS63
Hello all,

I am loving my cars as light as possible, and do not care if it means them being louder. I already removed the firewall pad in the engine bay, as well as all the tar on the floor of the car.
I therefore use it (well used it before this winter's work) quite regularly with my wife and my son, so do need the "third seat"/backpad.
My question is : do I need this insulation pad behind the backpad ?
IPB Image

For temperature issues for example? Or is it only for acoustic reasons (meaning I will not mount it back laugh.gif )

Thanks
Antoine
Dion
Sounds like you’ve already made your mind up! Hahahah.
Personally i found no difference in temperature when I ran without one. BUT it did seem
to lessen the decibels and vibrations in the cabin. In my current project I’m not running the interior one but I am using the engine side pad from RIX . If you find you don’t like without one there are plenty of options. Dynamat, etc. beerchug.gif
PS: Your metal work is looking fantastic Antione.
Superhawk996
I ran my 1st teener without rear bulkhead insulation. None on inside. None on outside. Like you I also ran without the tar on the floors. I wanted ever bit of excess weight gone.

The various bits of tar and matting are for acoustic purposes. It was substantially louder. Being 20 at the time, I didn't care.

Now being a bit older huh.gif , and maybe a bit wiser, I will run Dynamat. It is much more effective than the old mat and weighs less per square foot. A good compromise if you're interested in giving up a bit of weight for a quieter car.

mepstein
I’ll use lizard skin.
TRS63
QUOTE(Dion @ Mar 14 2022, 04:19 AM) *

Ahah totally right..it won't come back in the car laugh.gif

Thanks a lot for the nice words wub.gif

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 14 2022, 06:01 AM) *

Being 20 at the time, I didn't care.

Now being a bit older huh.gif , and maybe a bit wiser, I will run Dynamat. It is much more effective than the old mat and weighs less per square foot. A good compromise if you're interested in giving up a bit of weight for a quieter car.

Well, not 20 anymore but still early 30s so I will deal with the noise (or later update it with your good ideas !)

Thanks to all!

Antoine
mate914
Sounds is one thing. Vibration is the reason for tar mats, 70's teck. I thought about using the lizard skin on the 6, but I went with Upol. Maybe on the next car I will try lizard skin matching paint trough out car.
Matt flag.gif
tpines
QUOTE(TRS63 @ Mar 14 2022, 11:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Dion @ Mar 14 2022, 04:19 AM) *

Ahah totally right..it won't come back in the car laugh.gif

Thanks a lot for the nice words wub.gif

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 14 2022, 06:01 AM) *

Being 20 at the time, I didn't care.

Well, not 20 anymore but still early 30s so I will deal with the noise (or later update it with your good ideas !)

Thanks to all!

Antoine

Just be careful about your hearing Antoine!!! I like the idea of Dynamat myself to quiet it.

Clark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.