Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flat fan 914-6 engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
mepstein
Posted on Pelican. Good thing I’ve already paid for my kids college.

https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...2-flat-fan.html
JmuRiz
Not bad...is this Marty’s base engine or is there another beast out there?
mepstein
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Mar 14 2022, 10:31 PM) *

Not bad...is this Marty’s base engine or is there another beast out there?

Not Marty's, his is turbocharged. But still falls into the awesome category.
targa72e
You to can have a flat fan. Now discounted for $6800.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...n-complete.html

John
Superhawk996
Don't be wearing your 1970's dangly gold medallion necklaces while tuning that thing!

If you have long hair - be even more cautious!

Sure looks cool though!

laugh.gif
Root_Werks
Gotta ask why? You're clearly not saving space. Does this setup cool more evenly?
Shivers
It really looks cool. I wonder though, how much hp will you lose/gain driving the electric fan, compared to driving a fan off the crank.
mepstein
QUOTE(Shivers @ Mar 15 2022, 12:39 PM) *

It really looks cool. I wonder though, how much hp will you lose/gain driving the electric fan, compared to driving a fan off the crank.

I think it’s 20-40hp.
I’m guessing the better cooling was more important than the hp loss.
racerbvd
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 15 2022, 10:04 AM) *

I think it’s 20-40hp.
I’m guessing the better cooling was more important than the hp loss.

Since they used these on 917s and 935s, I would have to believe that they were functional.
I'd love to have one of these set ups. In a 914-6, where will you draw more cool air from, the fire wall and dirty air from under the car or the fresh air pulled straight down from the grill?
stownsen914
Stock fan takes ~20 hp at high RPM, I'd have to imagine the flat fan takes more.

It would be hard to come up with an electric fan setup that would give enough CFM to properly cool the engine. I've heard that the listed CFM ratings on fans are in free air and drop a lot when actually plumbed into something. 911 fans push a lot of air.

The other thing with electric fans is they draw a lot of current. It's tempting to think you're freeing up hp by going electric, but the alternator will need extra hp to drive it to make the amps needed to power the fan(s). Keeping in mind the losses from conversion from physical/kinetic energy to electric (alternator), and then back to physical/kinetic at the fan, it's hard to believe there will be any gain. Unless you're doing short runs like autocross and can just run off battery and recharge between runs.
Edit: just read that an alternator producing 50 amps only draws a couple hp. So my statement above may be wrong. Trading a 20 hp draw for only a couple would be a nice benefit if someone could figure it out.

The thread on Pelican did mention it's Marty's car. Perhaps an early version before the turbo?
73-914

The fan isn't electric, it's mechanical
Shivers
QUOTE(73-914 @ Mar 15 2022, 11:29 AM) *

The fan isn't electric, it's mechanical

Does it run off a driveshaft from one of those pulleys?
targa72e
Fan is driven off front crank pulley just like stock fan. Right angle bevel gear drive goes in place of the alternator/fan assembly You can see some more detailed pics of how it works in this add.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...n-complete.html

John
sb914
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=338013&hl=
Marty’s bad ass turbo flat fan .
budge96
I was just wondering where are they getting electric fan from this , it is fully mechanically driven just like a 917 or 935 ! Cool stuff !
ClayPerrine
No No No Clay!!!!

This is stupid.

BAD IDEA!!!

You need ITBs to go with this, plus a complete rework of the induction system.

NO NO NO!!!!!

BAD IDEA!!!!

But I want it........ sad.gif

mepstein
with mfi
Shivers
High cool factor for sure...Damn. But I was reading that the mechanical drive takes 25-30 hp to run, but going from 6 to 9 blades gives you 50% better cooling. Big engine, flat fan. And I do not know the price now, but it was $12,000 in 2010

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.