Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dealing with Dealer Installed A/C
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TX914
So my 76 had the VPC a/c system installed by the dealer. It was barely adequate (for Texas) when it was operational (in late 70s / early 80s) but I hated the hp drain on the engine and added complexity in the engine bay so I removed it and patched the holes in the front trunk and engine shelf with sheet metal (affixed with adhesive strips) and various other holes with moldable (adhesive) ABS sheeting cut to size. I still have all the original a/c components wasting space in the attic. Now I’m wondering what should be done to preserve this car:

a) Reinstall a/c with upgraded components (compressor, hoses, etc. for R134a)
b) Professionally repair all the holes cut by the dealer (in particular front trunk and engine shelf)
c) Let the next owner deal with it

I don’t drive the car much in inclement conditions – that includes rain, heat and traffic. I’m more of a Sunday driver these days. I too would recommend do what makes you happy, it’s your car. What makes me happy is to retain originality and value but what does that mean in this context? What does the brain trust think?

Cheers,
Alan
BillJ
If it originally came with AC then my vote is put it back. Especially seeing as you did not weld sheetmetal back in all the spots it was taken out. As a 76 last year car and lower numbers overall i would want it as it left the dealer.

That said i would also do as you suggest which is update the components to current as they are waaaaaaay better and do not rob as much hp.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
reinstall the ac system, and if everything still works (new dryer and expansion valve of course) then use and enjoy it, in that small cabin the ac works GREAT. If the compressor is bad install the new radial compressor and r134 Patching holes in metal CORRECTLY is expensive
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.