Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 newbie
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jimbo409
In the process of buying mu first 914,are there any good restoration books that I can buy to help me. Mine is a 1970 not sure if it has fuel injection or carb.the hell hole doesn’t look bad and the sills look ok. It hasn’t run in a few years so where do I start to get it running again
Tonyooc
Welcome, what you can't find in a book or online just ask on this forum. There is a ton of knowledge here. beerchug.gif
BillJ
This is supposed to be a great resource

How to Restore and Modify Your Porsche 914 and 914/6 (Motorbooks Workshop) https://www.amazon.com/dp/0760305846/ref=cm...X0NA7GN64F3SN2R

And HERE!!!!
krazykonrad
welcome.png
Let us know how we can help.
Chris H.
What city do you live in?
Montreal914
welcome.png

Here, here, and here! first.gif

Wealth of information and extremely generous and dedicated people absolutely nuts about these awesome little cars driving.gif

Chances are any of your questions have already but thoroughly discussed or explained.

But! You need to post pictures biggrin.gif .

Good luck with your project, and welcome to the addiction! assimilate.gif
Puebloswatcop
welcome.png

Welcome to our addiction. There are lots of resources out there, but this is by far the largest wealth of knowledge right in this forum.
Jimbo409
Thank you love this forum,will be picking up next week,anyone in the Chicago area
StarBear
The Haynes manual and AutoAtlanta George Hussey's Tech Info and Tips have been very helpful to me over the years.
Chris H.
QUOTE(Jimbo409 @ Mar 17 2022, 09:34 AM) *

Thank you love this forum,will be picking up next week,anyone in the Chicago area

I am. There are a few of us. I live in Plainfield.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Jimbo409 @ Mar 17 2022, 10:34 AM) *

If picking up in mid-west, beware. Look again for any signs of fiberglass or Bondo funny business. Rusty cars abound in the mid-west.

Good ones are out there in the mid-west but they are "imports" from somewhere else (CA, AZ, etc.)

Don't underestimate rust on these cars.

welcome.png
Front yard mechanic
you should have read first Barnham & Baileys ... there's a sucker born every minute
brant
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 17 2022, 02:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Jimbo409 @ Mar 17 2022, 10:34 AM) *

If picking up in mid-west, beware. Look again for any signs of fiberglass or Bondo funny business. Rusty cars abound in the mid-west.

Good ones are out there in the mid-west but they are "imports" from somewhere else (CA, AZ, etc.)

Don't underestimate rust on these cars.

welcome.png

agreed 100%
have someone look at the car that understands how they rust before you pay
I ALWAYS recommend that you pull the rockers to examine the longitudinal before you buy any car....

many many many people have gotten themselves upside down in rust for failing to follow that rule.
iankarr
welcome.png

and welcome to the greatest group of car peeps on the planet. As others have said, this community is super generous and helpful. Ask a question and you'll have a variety of answers from different perspectives in minutes. it really is amazing.

I've made a bunch of 914 DIY videos which you may find helpful. The link to my channel is in my signature below. Maybe start with the "914s for Newbie"s playlist....
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmCY...PWMX9ecEK-qsKZs

Be safe and enjoy!

Ian
emerygt350
definitely watch Ian Karr's videos. He keeps it positive talking about stuff that can get pretty scary.
aharder
welcome.png
This is the best Book on the Market !! It will lead you to many resources for your 914 !!
GBX0073
Oswego Illinois One Year 914 Green horn checking in
bkrantz
Just take about 6 months and read all the build threads. biggrin.gif
SavingManuals
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Mar 17 2022, 11:53 PM) *

Just take about 6 months and read all the build threads. biggrin.gif

agree.gif +1
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.